1. Perceptions of English Language Use at Tourist Hotels in Taiwan Instructor: Dr. Pi-Ying Hsu Presenter: Wei – Ting Chien Date: Oct 8, 2009
2. Citation Shieh, W. (2009). Perceptions of English Language Use at Tourist Hotels in Taiwan . Paper presented at the 26th International Conference on English Teaching and Learning in the R. O. C.
3. Contents Introduction Framework of the study Methods Results & Conclusions Reflection
4. Introduction A good command and fluent use of English is an essential key to assuring the success of the hospitality service (Shieh, 2009)
5. Introduction In order to cultivate qualified hospitality personnel into the workforce for the future, most of the college and university Hospitality Management Departments, require students to take a half-year to one-year off-school internship to gain field experiential learning experiences (Shieh, 2009)
6. Purpose of study to examine the perceptions of university seniors on the hotel English use upon completing their required one-year internship
7. Research Questions (1)What are the English language needs that students perceived during their internship? Business Correspondence Business Emails Forms Messages Writing Professional articles Business Correspondence Work Manuals Reading Dealing with enquiries Speaking Job reports Guests’ enquiries Listening
8. Research Questions (2) How well do the students perceive concerning their English language performance during their internship? Speaking 4 Writing 3 Listening 2 Reading 1
9. Research Questions (3) What workplace English that the students perceive as high in needs yet low in their performance? Speaking skills revealed a higher importance yet lower performance.
10. Framework of the study
11. Methods Questionnaire survey (80 distributes, 73 returned) Instrument 1 year internship Front Office Housekeeping Department Food & Beverage Division Requirement Hotel management major Participants
12. Methods Importance of linguistic skills Self-assessed language performance Demographic information Questionnaire (constructed with HEPA)
21. Reflection <ul><li>What important criteria of curriculum should be much concerned in Hotel English courses of hotel management department? </li></ul><ul><li>How do teachers help students’ language proficiency to be already to enter the workplace? </li></ul>