1. Perceptions of English Language Use at Tourist Hotels in Taiwan Instructor: Dr. Pi-Ying Hsu Presenter: Wei – Ting Chien Date: Oct 8, 2009
2. Citation Shieh, W. (2009, May). Perceptions of English Language Use at Tourist Hotels in Taiwan. Paper presented at the 26th International Conference on English Teaching and Learning, Hsinchu, R.O.C.
3. Contents Introduction Framework of the study Methods Results Reflection
4. Introduction A good command and fluent use of English is an essential key to assuring the success of the hospitality service (Shieh, 2009)
5. Introduction Hospitality Management Departments require students to take a half-year to one-year off-school internship to gain field experiential learning experiences (Shieh, 2009)
6. Purpose to examine the perceptions of university seniors on the hotel English use upon completing their required one-year internship
7. Research Questions What are the English language needs that students perceived during their internship? Job reports Guests’ enquiries Professional articles Business Correspondence Work Manuals Business Correspondence Business Emails Forms Messages Dealing with enquiries Listening Speaking Writing Reading
8. Research Questions How well do the students perceive concerning their English language performance during their internship? 4 Reading Listening Writing Speaking 1 2 3
9. Research Questions What workplace English that the students perceive as high in needs yet low in their performance? Speaking skills
11. Methods Participants Hotel management major Requirement 1 year internship at international hotels Departments Front Office Housekeeping Department Food & Beverage Division Instrument Questionnaire survey (80 distributes, 73 returned )
12. Methods Importance of linguistic skills Questionnaire (constructed with HEPA) Demographic information Self-assessed language performance
14. Results x y
18. Results ＜ 2.5 ＜ ＜ 2.00 3.00
19. Results ＞ ＜ － 3 4 High Low
20. Reflection What important criteria of curriculum should be much concerned in Hotel English courses of hotel management department? How do English teachers help students improve their workplace English proficiency to be already to enter the workplace?