1. Impact!Design for Social ChangeA six week, annual summer intensive atthe School of Visual Arts about using designas a tool for positive social change.
2. Impact! StudentsEach summer, 15 participants composedof graduate students, educators, design andbusiness professionals from around theworld come to New York City.
3. Students and facultyfrom the 2010 program
4. Impact! ClassesStudents learn to conceive and executetheir own innovative projects for social changewith a focus on entrepreneurship.In addition, team projects address apressing need for a New York City basednon-profit organization.
5. Class is in sessionClassroom session
6. Student presentations
7. Team-project researchin the South Bronx
8. In 2010, students worked with the independentmedia company Democracy Now!
9. Democracy Now! host Amy Goodman
10. Meeting with Amy Goodman
11. Impact! FacultyProfessionals in the areas of design andsocial change lead classes in strategy, conceptand funding.Past and current faculty: Martin Kace EmpaxMichael Blakney consultant Bob McKinnon GalewillChad Boettcher Weber Shandwick Michelle Mullineaux ESI DesignJohn Bruce strategist Laetitia Wolff desigNYC + futureflairLee Davis NESsT Andréa Pellegrino WorldstudioMara Einstein author, educator Mark Randall Worldstudio
12. Faculty lecture
13. Impact! LecturesLeaders in the areas of design andsocial change are presented exclusivelyfor students of the program.Some of the speakers at Impact! Lara Galinski Echoing GreenAsi Burak Games for Change Steven Heller design historian, author, criticJohn Carlin Funny Garbage David Gibson 212 AssociatesSharon Chang Yoxi Milton Glaser designerAllan Chochinov Core 77 Panthea Lee RebootBill Drenttel Winterhouse Jay Parkinson, MD, MPH The Future WellRobert Fabricant Frog Design Doug Powell Schwartz PowellRamsey Ford Impact Design Katrin Verclas MobileActive
14. Steven Heller
15. Milton Glaser
16. Impact! Field TripsField trips take students into the action tomeet with a range of influential designers,business leaders and social entrepreneurs.Michael Blakeney The Foundation CenterWendy Brawer Green Map SystemElan Cole Johnson & JohnsonScott Harrison charity:waterGiuseppe Lignano LOT-EKJason Rzepka MTVEd Schlossberg ESI DesignCynthia Smith Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum
17. The officesof LO:TEK
18. LOT-EK:Giuseppe Ligano,Architect
19. The offices ofcharity: water
20. charity: water:Scott Harrison,Founder
21. Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum,Why Design Now?National Design Triennialprivate tour with curator Cynthia Smith
22. Mercy Corps Action Center:Ed Schlossberg,Founder, ESI Design
23. Johnson & Johnson:Elan Cole,Global Creative Director
24. Impact! PresentationsOn the final day, students giveformal presentations for their individualand team projects.
25. The Blk Projek teamwith Executive DirectorTanya Fields, second from right
26. Democracy Now!staff and team
27. Impact! Social EventsImpact! events as well as student organizedactivities include: concerts, movies, restaurantsand nightlife.
28. Opening day lunch
29. A rooftop party underthe Manhattan bridge
30. Movie night in Brooklyn
31. Closing night party
32. Closing night party
33. Closing night party
34. Impact! Who’s this for?Professionals, educators and advanced studentsin: advertising, graphic design, product design,information design, interactive design,fashion design, photography + illustrationThe program is oriented towards these designdisciplines but we have had architects andsocial entrepreneurs participate.
35. Impact! InformationVisit the Impact! website to learn more aboutthe program, see student project case studiesas well as apply.impact.sva.edu
36. Impact!Design for Social ChangePhotos:Anna Mae AbiaClaire Manibog