The Profession of Sales
• Is Sales a Profession?
– World’s oldest profession
• Good news and Bad news
– Good: No Income Ceiling
• Paid according to your ability to produce
• Practically self employed
• You determine your next pay raise
– Bad: No Floor
• Nothing higher than a salesman’s high, BUT nothing
lower than a salesman’s LOW
6:11 PM 22
and Skills of Selling
A. Product Knowledge B. Basic Selling Skills
They must perceive
you or your team as
as soon as possible.
2. Meet and Greet
5. Handling Objections
6. Closing the Sale
7. Follow Up/Referrals
C. Attitude, Enthusiasm,
Discipline, and Goals
Chop down a tree with a Hammer?
• What must you do to stay productive if you
were using an ax?
• The average sales person spends less than 2 to
3% of their time sharpening their “AX”.
• The average company spends more on coffee
and donuts than they do on sales training skills.
“If the ax is dull and its edge unsharpened, more
strength is needed but skill will bring success.”
Most important 10-15 seconds for a salesperson?
• MEET AND GREET
• 50% of your success = getting the
prospect to like you and trust you.
Qualify Before You ask to Buy.
Find out what their N.E.A.D is first…
N. - Now
E. - Enjoy
A. - Alter
D. - Decision Maker
• It’s not a “spectator sport”
• Avoid the Benefit Barf
• Learn to ask High Quality questions
• Trial Close along the way
Top Pro’s are Master Questioners!
• Questions – Avoid “Spray and Pray”
– 3 purposes of:
• Keeps prospect involved – 3 to 4 statements max.
• Whatever we say is debatable
• Identifies what’s important to them, not you.
• Do you love ‘em?
• What they are and why you should love
• 6 Steps to overcome them
– Hear it Out
– Feed it Back in a question
– Question it
– Answer it
– Confirm the Answer – Tie Down?
– Change Gears – “By the way”
My Favorite Closing Question
“Can you think of any reason” Close
2 Magic Bullets
1. Price FIRST, when presenting to someone
who has expressed interest about learning
more about your offer.
2. Give them an out early and often.
6:11 PM 36
My Top 5 tips for the stage you’re in now.
Start acquiring sales skills NOW!
Find your “evangelist” if you’re not
Practice explaining your business or
offering with a question.
Concentrate on being enthusiastic.
Master the 1st Impression.