RAM MOHAN M.P.
Brand history and its global expansion
Advertisement – AIDA
Hypotheses & Inferences
Brand history and it’s global expansion
• 1983 – UNILEVER launched AXE in France inspired by
another of its brands IMPULSE
• 1985 – renamed AXE to LYNX in UK,Ireland, Australia,
AXE launched next in Latin America, Asia, Africa
• 1999 - launched in India
• 2000 - launched in USA, Canada
• A- Awareness
• I – Interest
• D – Desire
• A – Action
to accelerate market penetration
Describing fragrance by using a
eg : AXE Dark Temptation – as
irresistible as chocolate
Testers not available everywhere
Unique descriptors for each variant
for the clear understanding of the
Brand positioning as “babemagnet”
raised to sublime heights
with campaigns such as
“Even Angels/Goddesses will
FREE WAKE UP SERVICE
• Sales promotions
Sweepstakes : AXE chits with phone nos. in Levis jeans,
where AXE customers could call to connect to an AXE angel
Fragrance cards in CCD, bar, club outlets
AXE CALL ME
3.5 million calls
AXE WAKE-UP SERVICE
AGE GROUP : 16 -25 YRS.
GENDER : MALE
INCOME GROUP : MIDDLE AND
OCCUPATION : STUDENTS AND
SEMI - URBAN
LIFESTYLE : OUTDOOR
PERSONALITY : FASHION
OCCASSIONS : REGULAR
BENEFIT : QUALITY,
USER STATUS : REGULAR USER
USER RATE : MEDIUM
1. Each of the fragrances is created by international
fragrance diva Ann Gottlieb.
2. The formulation is a base with higher efficacy.
3. Excellent advertising targeting the youth.
4. Good distribution, Promotions and campaigns for
5. Also provides grooming range like shaving gel,
foam, After-Shave lotion, Cologne Talc, shampoo &
conditioner, face wash, shower gel.
1. Only an urban market phenomenon.
2. High pricing reduces the target market.
3.Controversial advertising often leads to legal
1. Coming up with Limited Edition fragrances.
2. Tie up with gym chains.
1. Deodorants’ sales are seasonal. Maximum
sales happen in the summer months (April to
2. Competition from Premium Segment
Tackling competition – ARMPIT WARRIORS
Principle of Defensive Warfare : Brand Cannibalisation
launched “AXE” anti-perspirant to take on NIVEA Silver
Protect & Garnier Mineral
Widening the cake, not the slice
Market penetration of deodorants - 2-3%
AXE – 25% market share
2009 - Rs.500 cr, now - Rs.900 cr
Capturing the entire male grooming kit
Hair – shampoo & conditioner
Face – scrub, face wash, shaving gel, after shave
AXE ANARCHY for HIM & for HER
• Move to digital medium to understand young men’s
Consumer engagement through online games
• Played by over 3mn , 55% repeat players
• Played by over 4 mn
AXE Angels fan page on facebook –
over 7 lac friends
Target Group : young males between 15-25 yrs.
Sample size : 60
• AXE is able to differentiate itself from other
male deodorants through its advertisements.
Advertisements as differentiators
Attributes through Ads
Frequency of Ads seen
Set Wet Zatak
Seen a lot of times
Positioning established as the naughtiest
brand, highly youth-centric, extremely
sexy, and highly masculine.
Ads conveyed the same and differentiated the
brand from its competitors.
Hence, hypothesis 1 is proven to be true.
• Axe customers have low brand loyalty.
Change of Brand Per Year
Four times or
I'll search for my
brand and if still
not available ,i'll
buy another brand.
I'll buy another
I'll go to another
shop to buy my
Brand loyal to Axe
I'll go to another shop to buy my brand
I'll search for my brand,if it's still not available,i'll buy
Latest purchase of Axe loyal customer
All 5 times
• 33% of 30% of AXE loyal customers never
change or change their deodorant once on an
average per yr .
• Out of these 33% no AXE loyal customer is
ready to buy another deodorant in the
absence of AXE, and their last 5 purchase
behavior of AXE is shown below.
Hence, Hypothesis 2 is disproven.
• The central theme of seduction is also being
played with by other brands too as Set wet Zatak
and Wildstone for the young male. Hence, the
differentiator factor of AXE is reducing.
• Our recommendation is that AXE should
reposition itself for a TG which is above 25yrs
aged males focusing on other attributes such as
cool and adventurous which it’s low on scale