1. Getting the Best use out of SharePoint Designer 2010 Twitter:: asifrehmaniPresented by: Asif Rehmani, SharePoint ServerMVP SharePoint-Videos.com Trainer/Solution Architect firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Who am I? email@example.com Microsoft Office SharePoint Server MVP, MCT Current Video Count: Principal contributor at SharePoint-Videos.com 442 Videos on SharePoint, SharePoint Designer and InfoPath SharePoint 2010 Training Co-Author of the book Professional SharePoint Designer 2007, Beginning SharePoint Designer 2010 and Real World SharePoint 2010 Speaker at various conferences Microsoft TechEd, SharePoint Conference, SPTechCon, SharePoint Connections, Best Practices Conference etc.
3. What to Expect during this presentation? 250 level presentation Navigating through major areas within SPD Quick Demos, Best Practices and Guidance on each of the areas
4. Building Solutions and Customizing SharePoint End Users Designers Site Admins IT Professionals Designers Site Admins Developers IT Professionals Developers
5. Evolution of SharePoint Designer Note:
6. DemoA lap around SPD 2010
7. Introducing SharePoint Designer inyour Organization Know that anyone can download directly from Microsoft’s website Best to inform user base to wait until they get a “clearance” from IT before downloading & installing
8. SharePoint Designer usagePermission LevelsWeb Application Administrators manage permissions for Site CollectionAdministrators Site Collection Administrators manage permissions for Site Administrators and Designers
9. Default SPD functionality available forSite Users Best Practice: Think hard before Changing these Site Administrators and Designers No access to Master Pages No access to detach pages from site definition No access to manage website hierarchy Readers and Members
10. DemoRestricting SPD usage
11. Switching Master PagesBest done easily through SPD • Team site Master Page • User content pages (listscontent v4.master pagesetc) • _layouts pages (site settings, etc) • For app experiences, like Search or Office Web Applications minimal.master • If you do not need site navigation • If you do not have a ribbon • If your app needs the space • Show site using legacy interface default.master • No Ribbon, no fluency
12. DemoSwitch Master Pages using SPD
13. Hide Lists/Libraries from Browser Use Cautiously!
14. DemoHide from browser
15. Reusable and Package-ableWorkflows Best Practice: Create your reusable Workflows on one site and then share with other sites
17. XSLT Web Parts Accessing SharePoint and non-SharePoint data Best Practice: When accessing external data, only retrieve what you need to avoid clogging the bandwidth.
18. Conditional Formatting
19. Call to Action Watch the SharePoint Designer 2010 videos on sharepoint-videos.com Get access to the completely pre-built SharePoint environment with the Demos - http://tinyurl.com/asifcloudshare Connect with us: Sign up for bi-monthly newsletter Please fill out the survey!