2. CLOUD SERVICES Users Vendors working towards a connectedcollaboration infrastructure SURF
3. End user push 2 BILLION PEOPLE ONLINE 30% OF WORLD POPULATION IT USED TO BE SCARCENOW AVAILABLE IN ABUNDANCEConsumerization & commoditization multi-device multi-serviceUsers are choosers
4. Traditional supply chain ; cd-rom distribution, on-premise hostingNew supply chain ; cloud distribution model
5. PRODUCEInfrastructure as a service CONSUMEsoftware as a service
6. CLOUD + fast de rapid upd livery, ates, Ela stic, pay-per-u se - Data ouorganiza tside of y tion, trus our own t and con trol
7. Beyond the hype...›Your personal ‘USB-cloud-drive in your pocket’ ?
8. Power and size of the cloudA credit card is all you needto use the Amazon facilities
9. For users not shadow IT Hom e org ani z at io ns respo n sib le : h av e le gal obl i gati on but real IT !to pro te c t d a ta (P ersona lly I dent ifiable I n f o r m ati o n )
10. cloud principlesResearch and higher education organizations in the Netherlands will move to the cloud together, via SURF.
11. cloud principles 1C lo u d f ir s t st ra t e g yProvide IT services as much as possible via the public cloud.When the required services are not available,or when they cannot be used due to legal considerations,community cloud services (specifically tailored to the needs of highereducation) will be implemented.
12. vendor management & cloud brokering servi ce spe cifica tions price secur ity & priva c y Legis (nati lation o inter nal, EU, natio U nal c SA louds ) data porta bility inter opera bilityNegotiate & procure togetherEqual conditions for all SURF members (1 million users)1 distribution channel
15. cloud principlesUsers should be able decide which devices and applications they use.Let them choose between multiple cloud vendors and cloud services (multi-vendor approach).
16. ? ›Which one ? ›Both !
17. A lot of clouds.... Conﬂuence Cisco fragmented WebEx islands Microsoft Ofﬁce365 Liferay Box.net IBM SAPConnections Google Streamwork Apps Joomla EDUgroepenInterconnect Services from multiple vendors
18. Cross-organisational collaboration.... Users and teams from different organisations
19. cloud principles Provide added value by means of a collaboration infrastructure,which interconnects cloud services and users
20. CloudInstitute U service AInstitute V Cloud service BInstitute W Cloud service CInstitute X Internal service AInstitute Y Internal service BInstitute Z Internal service C
21. User databases and user control at institutesFederated authentication and identity managementto access cloud services (single sign-on).Uniﬁed group management and authorizationA single point of control where users can manage their teams.These group-related privileges (roles) are automatically used andupdated in all connected cloud services.Open, data exchangeUse components (widgets) to build your own team workspace.Social networking between online services.
22. Gartner about SURFconext“SURFconextdemonstrates a clear trend thatsuperstructures built byorganizations such as those of theNational Research and EducationNetwork (NREN)are better positioned to deliveracademic collaborationfunctionalitythan individual institutions.”
23. use agreedemand supply distribute connect
24. online services Software as a Service Generic & business services Video & Uniﬁed Communication services Education & content services Research services Open source services Online content Infrastructure as a Service
25. SURFCONEXTOPPORTUNITIESFOR SERVICEPROVIDERS
26. http://bit.ly/OnrptbOnline services via SURF : status / tracking & tracing
27. RETURN pure cloud players EFFORT
28. Now also available for Research via SURF Now also free for staff (in basic version)Implement together at higher education & research; vendor and SURF- Google: 13 organizations, 240.000 users- Microsoft Office 365: 10 organizations
30. “The Life Science Grid portal contains a number of bioinformaticsapplications which you can use. No knowledge about Grid isnecessary. You dont even need a Grid certiﬁcate. What we do askfrom you is to register as a user with a valid email address.”
31. Using the SURFconext Liferay adapter that Proteondeveloped, every organization that is part of SURFnetcan use Liferay to authenticate users
33. Infrastructure as a Service Microsoft Green SARA IBM Azure qloud Vancis Amazon AtosChoose the best option for your specific needs Data portability Dashboard, manage use, metering and billing
34. 12 oktober
35. 24 oktober
36. Together !
37. firstname.lastname@example.org @steijaert Everyone interested inW www.surf.nl/cloud more information www.surfconext.nl + 31 30 2 305 305 ANDRES STEIJAERT