How do you create better collaboration across sectors that result in new jobs for younger people, Jim DelaneyPresentation Transcript
HOW DO YOU CREATE BETTER
COLLABORATION ACROSS SECTORS THAT
RESULT IN NEW JOBS FOR YOUNGER
JIM DELANEY – CEO, ENGINE FOR SOCIAL INNOVATION
The next generation of leaders needs …
• Exceptional self-awareness
• Empathy for all stakeholders
• Ability to thrive in ambiguous environments
A Lollipop Moment…
Quick points on engaging the next
• Competing with all brands and experiences
• The challenge of traditional engagement models
• Bake it in don’t frost it on
• Work on the how but talk about the why
• Change the world from a position of regular life
• Don’t forget the awesome
• Alignment of needs
+ First Moveable Piece
Interview #1: Interview each other for 2 minute each.
• Goals and wishes: What is your partner trying to achieve through their own Gift
• Ask why. Even when you think you know the answer, ask people why they do
or say things.
• Ask about “the last time you ______” in context of the challenge
• Encourage stories. Ask questions that get people telling stories.
• Look for inconsistencies. Inconsistencies often hide interesting insights.
Interview #2: Interview each other for 2 minute each.
• Insights: New learnings about your partner’s feelings and motivations. What’s
something you see about your that maybe s/he doesn’t see?
• Listen to nonverbal cues. Be aware of body language & emotions.
• Don’t be afraid of silence!
• Avoid suggesting answers to your questions.
• Avoid binary questions, or questions with “data” answers
• Ask about extremes
• Seek emotion
Point of View MADLIB
(Interviewee Name + identifiers) needs a way to….
So that he/she can… (achieve a specific goal for the gift)
Point of View MADLIB
Jim Delaney, the hungry, busy and slightly nervous small
business owner, needs a way to….
Get Chipotle to deliver a fajita burrito to his desk
He can stay focused on preparing for the SIX conference, stay
energized for his employees and have the energy to go to an
event where he might not get a bite to eat
Links to resources mentioned
• Playworks - Rock, Paper, Scissors Rockstar - Link
• Stanford d. School (gift giving empathy interview) - Link
• Human Centered Design - Link
• My HCD guru is Anna Love Mickelson for HCD - Link
• Simon Sinek (Talk about the why) - Link
• The great Ben Zander (didn't mention him, but love him) - Link
• Insights Discovery - Color Energies - Link
• Lollipop Moments - Link