1. Aiming High on the Retail Success Ladder<br />By Stephanie Hogan<br />
2. Summary<br />What is retail?<br />What is retail to me?<br />How does this pertain to marketing?<br />
3. What is retail?<br />Retail – the sale of goods and commodities in small quantities directly to consumers.<br />In 2008, the retail industry was a 426 Billion dollar industry in Canada which employs almost 2 million people.<br />Have you ever worked in a retail position?<br />
4. What is retail to me?<br />In 2004, 32.4% of those employed in the retail industry were between the ages of 15 and 24.<br />Companies, such as the Sears Canada e-Store, are now looking for students with business skills to act as trained mangers.<br />
5. How does this pertain to marketing?<br />There are two universities in Canada which actually specialize in retail management:<br />Ted Rogers School of Retail Management<br />University of Alberta <br />
6. <ul><li> Those who work in retail also find work in areas such as logistics, human resources, financial management and marketing.
7. These new jobs value young students for their knowledge in new marketing outlets such as social networking sites to help build retail sales.</li></li></ul><li>Any Questions?<br />