2. Drivers Lose Their Focus
Young Drivers Elderly Drivers
Being Pulled over The obvious one
Why does this happen?
4. Driving is a mundane task
5. We usually miss these!
6. What are road signs ?
road signs are signs erected at the side of roads
to provide informa,on to road users. With
increasing speed of transport, the tendency is for
countries to adopt pictorial signs or otherwise
simplify and standardize signs, to facilitate
interna,onal travel where language diﬀerences
can create barriers and in general to reduce the
risks in driving (Wikipedia)
7. PaLern Similari,es
8. The purpose of having a RRS in your car
• Safer driving
• Building autonomous cars
• Teaching people good driving habits
Provide driving assistance
9. The Ini,al project
The implemented algorithm is quite fast, the
average ,me for detec,on and classiﬁcia,on
of signs is about 10 seconds on a 1 Ghz
Turion64 processor with 1Gb of RAM running
Fedora Linux 10.
STILL NEEDS TO BE OPTIMISED
11. Work in Progress
• Building the Autoassocia,ve Memory (neural
• Tes,ng the algorithm on video
• Implemen,ng the applica,on on an iPhone
12. What are associa,ve memories?
13. Recognising Road Signs
14. Why the iPhone?
• Available on the market
• Supports OpenCV
• Portable device
• Has a camera
• Touch screen
15. Some disadvantages...
• Poor baLery life
Video playback is 10 hours on 3GS
• Processing power
600Mhz Processor and 256 RAM
Some of these issues might be sorted out when
the 4G comes out
16. Video Implementa,on
• Mul,ple frames per second
• Real‐,me processing
17. Why work on videos?
• To simulate our percep,on of driving
• An insight to how vision works and how the
brain creates consciousness
19. But the idea is...
• To be able to use it in your car any,me you
• To reduce the loss of lives on the road
20. Thank You Drive Safe ;)