A linear inequality has a boundary line that can be
expressed in the form
y = mx + b
The solution to the inequality is the set of all ordered pairs
that makes the inequality true.
Graph 2x + y < 4
1. Graph inequality like a linear equation.
2. Line becomes boundary line.
if > (greater than) boundary line is dashed
because values are not
if < (less than) part of solution
if (greater than or equal to) boundary line is
solid because values
if (less than or equal to) are part of solution
3. Test a point on each side of the boundary line to determine
the solution area.
4. Shade in the region that represents the solution.
Graph y 3 ≥ 0
Graph the solution of
4x y ≤ 6
System of linear inequalities:
Two types of systems.
1. Intersection of the inequalities ( and )
The solution to the system is where the solutions for
each individual inequality overlap
2. Union of the inequalities ( or )
The solution to the system could be anywhere
within either solution set of each inequality....
combine their solution sets