• Contribute to nature conservation
• Integrate interpretation and learning experiences
• Integrate responsible behavior of tourists, host destination and developers
• Minimising environmental impact
• Working towards local ownership and local capacity for development
• Based on local small scale
• Contribute to the welfare of local population from rural areas in (the
surrounding of) nature (protected) areas
Adapted from Oliver Hillel ,UNO, 2002
Voluntary Certification Systems
• Local voluntary initiatives;
• There are already international recognised criteria framework;
Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria (GSTC)
European Ecotourism Labeling Standards(Eco-Destinet Project)
Nature’ Best Eco-Romania
Four main directions for AER
Marketing Product development
Certification Public awareness and
1. Sustainable management of company;
1. Focus on natural areas;
2. Nature interpretation and education;
3. Environment sustainability;
4. Nature conservation contribution;
5. Contribution to development of local communities;
6. Sensitive towards local culture
Retezat PAN Park Destination –
Retezat NP Region – PAN Park
certified – a network of certified
Calimani NP – Tara Dornelor
Destination – Eco-Romania Network
Four season ecotourism destination:
•Experience and activity zoning
•Network: Accommodations & Tours:
hiking, horseback riding, rafting,
mountain biking, wildlife tracking;
•Eco-Romania certified businesses in
combination with the local label
•Branding and domestic and
02.10.10 international marketing.
• 30 businesses certified (accommodation & tours);
• Eco-Romania is more than a certification system: it is a guiding process;
• Certification is integrated into marketing, product development, public
awareness and capacity building.
Certification is part of a destination development.
To develop a strong network of ecotourism
destinations in Carpathians
and Danube Delta.
Thank you for attention!
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.