1. Communication Problems? . . . Our Solution! Carl Jones Director of Curriculum Darke County ESC
2. First Class Collaborative Software
3. How is your organization presently doing business?? Make some calls Snail Mail Personal visits Send a Memo Have a meeting
4. <ul><li>Do your administrators share information and ideas? </li></ul><ul><li>Do meetings take too much of your time? </li></ul><ul><li>Would teachers be more effective if they could share ideas? </li></ul><ul><li>Do your entry year teachers have adequate support of ideas and resources? </li></ul><ul><li>Do teachers presently have an effective way to share projects, lessons, and ideas? </li></ul>When it comes to connectivity and collaboration:
5. Single Solution: Powered by Open Text FirstClass Collaborative Software
6. The Beginning - 1998 All Darke County School Districts online: • Administrators • Teachers • Classified Staff Currently there are over 1100 Registered Users on our Intranet. (covering more than six counties)
7. Why FirstClass?? The answer is as easy as 1...2…3!! <ul><li>1) Ease of Use </li></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>2) Ability to Customize </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><ul><ul><li>3) Efficiency of the System </li></ul></ul></ul></ul></ul>
8. I. Ease of Use: • Registered users can be up and running with little or no training. The DCESC provided each district with FirstClass training. Sessions were 45-60 minutes.
9. Personal Mailbox County Level Conferences District/Building Level Conferences
10. II. Ability to Customize: • FirstClass desktops can be customized from user-to-user, building-to-building, and district-to-district.
11. Personalized DarkeNet desktops for each individual district.
12. II. Efficiency of the System: • Conference folders allow users with common interests to communicate to a group by posting just one message.
13. Entry Year Teachers DarkeNet Collaborative Learning Communities Special Education Administrators / Tech Coordinators Education Resources
14. Curriculum Development and Implementation Support Online conferences focusing on the four content areas Language Arts * Mathematics * Science * Social Studies
15. What is our next vision for FirstClass Communications?
16. Ohio Curriculum Leadership Network Powered by the Darke County ESC And First Class O C L N
17. Why OCLN? <ul><li>We all have a lot on our plates and we often have to have ALL the answers to teachers’ and administrators’ questions. </li></ul><ul><li>It is impossible to know it ALL. </li></ul><ul><li>Many curriculum supervisors are assigned as generalists that have to do it ALL. </li></ul><ul><li>Many teachers may not have the time or ability to access a consultant when needed. </li></ul>
18. Why OCLN? <ul><li>There are a few people across the state that specialize in the various content areas or in certain areas. </li></ul><ul><li>Connecting with those people is sometimes difficult. </li></ul><ul><li>OCLN has content specialists that are available to answer specific questions dealing with curriculum and assessment. </li></ul>
19. Why Not Email Lists? <ul><li>There are many limitations to email distribution lists. </li></ul><ul><li>The FirstClass system allows many benefits to those who are in the network. </li></ul><ul><li>What are those benefits? </li></ul>
20. Benefits of the OCLN Format <ul><li>You can target messages to those who can address the question or issue, instead of everyone. </li></ul><ul><li>You can check for messages that are relevant to your needs by checking the various folders of interest on the OCLN desktop. </li></ul><ul><li>You can view the directory of participants and check their resume to see where they are located and their position. </li></ul><ul><li>You can send a person message to someone without knowing their full name or email address. </li></ul>
21. Benefits of the OCLN Format <ul><li>You can see who is online and invite them to a “live” chat to communicate in real time. </li></ul><ul><li>There are calendars for each content folder where events can be posted and shared. </li></ul><ul><li>Very easy to share resources and documents because there is no limit on attachments. </li></ul><ul><li>The history feature allows you to see when or if people read your message. </li></ul>
22. Future Possibilities of OCLN <ul><li>Addition of a Professional Development folder where people can post PD opportunities that are open to teachers across the state. </li></ul><ul><li>Addition of a Vendor folder where vendors could post information about new products and resources that are available to schools and teachers. </li></ul><ul><li>Addition of other folders that participants may suggest as helpful. </li></ul>
24. 1. Enter your User ID 2. Enter the server 3. Press Save
26. Go Live!
27. The Top Ten Reasons for using FirstClass & O C L N <ul><li>It will look exactly the same whether you are using a Macintosh or Windows computer. </li></ul><ul><li>9. The client software is FREE or you can access your account by using your favorite web browser. </li></ul><ul><li>8. You can see who is “online” at the same time you are and chat with them online. </li></ul><ul><li>7. You do not need to memorize a cryptic email address and can even send a voice message if you don’t want to type. </li></ul>
28. <ul><li>You can use this forum to share your ideas and expertise with others on the network. </li></ul><ul><li>5. Messages can be customized by changing the font, size,color, and style. You can highlight the important stuff ! </li></ul><ul><li>4. You can tell if and when each of your messages have been read. </li></ul><ul><li>3. You can communicate with groups of experts by posting a single message to a single place. </li></ul><ul><li>2. You can learn what you need, when you need it, from any person on the network. </li></ul>FirstClass & O C L N
29. The Number One Reason for using FirstClass & O C L N <ul><li>Everyone will think YOU are an EXPERT in EVERYTHING! </li></ul>
30. To Register for FirstClass or O C L N Darke County ESC 5279 Education Dr. Greenville, OH 45331 Carl Jones voice 937-548-4915 ext 218 email firstname.lastname@example.org Jodi Bennett voice 937-548-4915 ext 234 email email@example.com Dave Shellhaas voice 937-548-4915 ext 221 email firstname.lastname@example.org Lois Bunger voice 937-548-4915 ext 217 email email@example.com http://www.darke.k12.oh.us/curriculum
32. MyFirstClass : An Educator’s Online Collaborative Intranet T he fundamental premise of MyFirstClass is simple - to establish an online community where educators have access to curriculum resources to support their work in the classroom while enhancing communications with students and parents outside of the classroom. DarkeNet was brought online in 1998 and currently serves the seven Darke County School Districts, along with the Darke County ESC, connecting administrators, teachers and classified staff to colleagues, information and resources...anytime...anywhere. DarkeNetJr was born in December of 2001. The mission of this system is to connect students, teachers and parents online....anytime...anywhere. MyFirstClass is an extension of the Darke County FirstClass systems. Now educators can join a collaborative online environment for communicating with students, parents and curriculum experts. Background of FirstClass in Darke County: Why FirstClass? 1) Ease of use • Registered users can be up-and- running with little or no training. 2) Ability to customize • FirstClass desktops can be customized from user-to-user, building-to-building and district-to-district. 3) Efficiency of the system • Conference folders allow users with common interests to communicate to a group by posting just one message. 4) Web publishing without HTML • Posting a message to a “public” FirstClass conference makes the information accessible over the web . Synchronous (chat and instant messaging) and asynchronous (email) exchange of data and information Works across multiple platforms and operating systems User-friendly interface Individual, group and resource calendars Collaborative forums and customized desktop resources PDA synchronization of calendar, address book and memo folder Client and web access Web publishing Supports “suites” of conferences for creating an online learning environment for student. Features
33. MyFirstClass : the details When you subscribe to MyFirstClass, you become a registered user on this education network. Your MyFirstClass desktop will include your personal mailbox for sending and receiving e-mail from other registered users. You will also have the capability to send and receive messages from those outside the system. You will have a personal calendar, address book and memo folders; all of which will synch to your PDA. You will also be assigned a class conference (forum) and class calendar. Posting a message in your classroom conference is as simple as sending e-mail. Any messages posted to your classroom conference or items posted to your class calendar are accessible over the Internet ...anytime, anywhere...by students and parents. As a bonus, MyFirstClass will include curriculum conferences (monitored by Darke County ESC curriculum coordinators) containing current information for supporting your efforts in the classroom. Your information will be accessible from any computer with Internet access.
34. “ MyFirstClass is an initiative to provide teachers access to a network for improving collaboration and communication between educators, students and parents. It is an easy, efficient and affordable tool for classroom teachers who are ready to explore the next level of online technology integration.” Ultimately, MyFirstClass will support the advancement of technology as a viable educational tool.