2. Extreme Makeover (your computer)
Cleaning your ibook (turn power off and unplug the A/C adapter)
• Wipe outside with damp, soft cloth (old t-shirts, cloth diapers, etc.
• Clean screen and keyboard area with a damp, soft cloth (do not spray
any liquid directly on screen or keyboard area)
• Label computer with your name and school only – do not add other
• Wrap A/C power cord when not using and store in computer bag
• A/C power cord should be unplugged from computer when carrying
or transporting between locations
• Battery maintenance (see Apple’s information sheet)
• Keep computer out of heat and cold – computer should always be at
room temperature before using
• Report damage or lost ibook to IT department
Cleaning up your desktop
• Create a folder on your hard drive with your name on it.
a. Create sub folders within this folder for such items as class
periods, lesson plans, personal, etc.
b. You may create folders within the sub folders. For example if
you have lessons plans for math that you use every January
make a folder for that.
c. Only originals should be used in this folder. This folder will be
used to back up you information. Unfortunately an alias of a
document can’t be restored.
• There should not be any program files on your desktop. Please only
use an alias.
a. Alias can be made in a couple of ways.
• Click on the program that you want to make an alias of
while holding down the option and command keys and
drag this to the desktop.
• Click on the program. Select File on the menu and pull
down to Make Alias.
• Click on program and use the command key and M.
• Use Stickies to create quick reminders.
3. Extreme Makeover (your computer)
Cleaning up your e-mails
• E-mails should not be kept in the inbox, sent box or trash.
• Set up personal folders to keep all of you important e-mail.
• Click on the message that you want to save. Click on the file icon and
select the folder you want to use. You may even create new folders
• Make sure you clear out your e-mail attachments at least once a
month. You can do this by clicking on your hard drive, find the
Documents folder and open it. Inside there is a folder called Quick
4. Extreme Makeover (your computer)
Mail Pro Data. Open the Attachments folder. Select all and drag
them to the trash.
• You can export your personal address book by clicking file on the
menu bar and then selecting Export, then go to Contacts as Text File.
The text file will be on your desktop. This would be something to save
in your folder.
5. Extreme Makeover (your computer)
Cleaning up your Internet favorites.
• Open Internet Explorer. Open the favorites on the menu bar.
• Click on Organize Favorites. This makes it easy to arrange your
• At this point you may export your favorites and move this document
into your folder. While you have this window open go to file on the
menu bar and Export Favorites.
6. Extreme Makeover (your computer)
iBook Back up
1.Go to the Apple, Click on Chooser
2.Click on AppleShare then your building Server. Please check with you
tech support person to see where you are to back up to.
3. The password is either your lunch account or employee number.
7. Extreme Makeover (your computer)
4. Select Staff folder.
5. Open the Staff server off of you desktop and find you name. Drag any
files that you would hate to loose into this folder.
Mac OS 9 users please make sure to rebuild your desktop about once a
month. To do this, restart your computer while holding down the Option,
Command and “R” while starting up. Please hold these keys down until you
see the box that asks if you want to rebuild your desktop.
8. Extreme Makeover (your computer)
1. On the menu bar click on GO. Then click on Connect to
2. Then you will need to type in the Server address or browse
for the server that you want to use. Then follow the above