What is OpenStack
What is OpenStack?
• OpenStack is an platform for building cloud
What is the Cloud?
Marketing term for remote services?
Databases and Queuing
Backup and Failover
So What is OpenStack?
• Open Source Cloud Software…
• A collection of “cloud services”
• Each service includes:
– A tenant-facing API that exposes
logical abstractions for consuming
– One or more backend
implementations of that API
• 2009 –
– EC2, Rackspace, Nebula (NASA), Cloud.com, vSphere…
• August 2010 – Rackspace and NASA
share a vision of an open infrastructure
– Compute (nova) contributed by NASA (used to power Nebula).
– Storage (swift) contribued by Rackspace (used to power cloudfiles).
Fastest Growing Global
Open Source Community
As of July 2013
Contributors per month (ohloh)
1 Million+ Lines of Code
•Lines of code (ohloh)
The OpenStack Foundation
•Protecting, Empowering, and Promoting OpenStack software
and the community around it, including users, developers and the
• Over 9,500 Individual Members, up from 5,600 at launch
• The leading Global IT companies as Gold & Platinum
• Board of Directors that sets strategic direction
• Project Technical Leads and a Technical Committee that are
elected from among the contributors
• User Committee to ensure the users voices are heard
•Provide a permanent legal home for OpenStack, with broad
industry support and the resources to support OpenStack’s
•While preserving what’s working – a.k.a. the “OpenStack
Technical people making technical decisions based on merit
Dedicated resources building the community and ecosystem
A strong ecosystem of companies making money
Encouraging and rewarding contribution in all forms