1. 2013 RI CONVENTIONVOCATIONAL TRAINING TEAMS:Vocational Service in Action
2. 2013 RI CONVENTIONWELCOME• Introduction of Panel Members• Where did my Group Study Exchange(GSE) Team go?• What is a Vocational Training Team (VTT)?• How do I pay for my VTT?
3. 2013 RI CONVENTIONGroup Study Exchange – February2006 – District 3790 – ThePhilippines
4. 2013 RI CONVENTIONWHERE DID MY GSE TEAM GO?
5. 2013 RI CONVENTIONWHAT IS A VOCATIONAL TRAININGTEAM (VTT)? A VTT is a group ofprofessional who travel toanother country either tolearn more about theirprofession or to teach localprofessionals about aparticular field
6. 2013 RI CONVENTIONHOW DO I PAY FOR MY VTT?District Grant VTTsSupport The RotaryFoundation’s Mission topromote goodwill and peace,improve health, supporteducation and alleviatepoverty.
7. 2013 RI CONVENTIONHOW DO I PAY FOR MY VTT?Global Grant VTTsAlign with one or more areas offocus, build the capacity of eitherthe team members or thebenefiting community, and havea sustainable and measurableimpact. The VTT must besponsored by Rotary clubs orDistricts from two countries, thegrant may support the travel ofmore than one team
8. 2013 RI CONVENTIONPackaged Grant VTTsAll packaged grants are carriedout with a strategic partner,who defines the general scopeof activities within one or moreareas of focus, develops therelationships with the localprofessionals and ensure thatthe outcome will be sustainableHOW DO I PAY FOR MY VTT?
9. 2013 RI CONVENTIONPANEL MEMBERSPDG Tony Fryer from RC WellingtonNorth, New Zealand – District GSE –Like ExchangeRotarian Susan Meskis from RCFishers in Indiana, USA – Aga KhanUniversity Vocational Training Team –Packaged GrantHimansu Basu from RC NorthfleetWith Ebbs, England – Global GrantVTT
10. 2013 RI CONVENTIONVOCATIONAL SERVICE IN ACTION:DISTRICT GRANTSPDG Tony Fryer
11. 2013 RI CONVENTION• Transitioning from GSE to VTT• Problems understanding VTTs• Grabbing the opportunity!• District Grant or Global Grant?• So – how do we fund?TRANSITIONING
12. 2013 RI CONVENTION• $14,000 to fund our outbound team• District Grant #1 (11/12) 1,500• District Grant #2 (12/13) 3,700• Contribution from D5370 6,000• 5 Sponsor Clubs ($500 each) 2,500• District 9940 Funds 300• Plus: Air NZ discounted faresA FUNDING MODEL TO SUIT US
13. 2013 RI CONVENTION• Able to determine composition of VTT• Age restrictions gone• Formulate own budget• Focus and length of visit decided by district• Cultural and social activities can be addedLESSONS LEARNT
14. 2013 RI CONVENTION• Most VTTs one way and linked with projects• Finding partnerships will be challenging• Costs of activity will rise resulting in greatertake-up of Global Grants• Districts with more DDF will stage VTTsmuch the same way they did GSELOOKING AHEAD
15. 2013 RI CONVENTIONVOCATIONAL SERVICE IN ACTION:PACKAGED GRANTSSusan Meskis
16. 2013 RI CONVENTIONVocational Training TeamTanzania, 2013• Package Grant• Relationship between RI and AKU• Building Capacity• Nursing
17. 2013 RI CONVENTIONPREPERATION• Agreement between District 9200 and 6560• Team Leader selection• Team selection• Planning
18. 2013 RI CONVENTIONBUILDING CAPACITY• Two day seminar toshare nursingexpertise in nursingeducation• Tools for effectivetesting and evaluation• Exchange of ideas forclinical experience ofnursing students
19. 2013 RI CONVENTIONMATERNAL HEALTH EXPERIENCE
20. 2013 RI CONVENTIONROTARY EXPERIENCE
21. 2013 RI CONVENTIONFUTURE VISION• Relationships createdthat will make animpact movingforward• Our experience willimpact the studentswe teach in our ownuniversities
22. 2013 RI CONVENTIONVOCATIONAL SERVICE IN ACTION:GLOBAL GRANTSPDG Dr.Himansu Basu
23. 2013 RI CONVENTIONVTT – “Training TheTrainer” Model
24. 2013 RI CONVENTION• From GSE to VTT• From a visit to a programme• From any topic to an Area of FocusEVOLUTION OF VOCATIONAL SERVICE
25. 2013 RI CONVENTION• Bigger• Better• BolderEVOLUTION OF VOCATIONAL SERVICE
26. 2013 RI CONVENTIONA practical solution in low resourced countriesMMR -240 -Lack of resources, 60per cent births outside Hospitals,Poor TransportThe Problems
27. 2013 RI CONVENTIONTHE FOOTHILLS OF THE HIMALAYAS!
28. 2013 RI CONVENTION• Collaborative• Action in• Lowering of• Maternity• Encountered• DeathsCALMED MODELProtecting Mothers’ and Babies’ Health
29. 2013 RI CONVENTIONC.A.L.M.E.D.Monitoring& EvaluationTraining theTrainersTRotariansAdvocacyRole onResourcesRaisingAwareness byWomen’sGroupsTwo further visits at 12 and 24 months
30. 2013 RI CONVENTIONOUR COLLABORATORSOUR COLLABORATORS
31. 2013 RI CONVENTION• Preparatory Phase• Team Selection - 6 Ob-Gyn and Lead• Global Grant Application– Budget $ 50,000• DDF $25,000• World Fund $ 25,000• Team Visit• Follow-up Visits-Monitoring and EvaluationVTT CORE ACTIVITIES
32. 2013 RI CONVENTIONTWO VISITS TO SIKKIM BEFORE VTT
33. 2013 RI CONVENTIONTHE TEAM IN SIKKIM
34. 2013 RI CONVENTION• A- 7 train 13 local Faculty –AdaptedWHO Manuals ,Simulators ,DVDs, RolePlay and Interaction with Trainees – Preand Post Course Tests.• B- 13 train 19 workers –supported by 7VTT members –Same method of Trainingand Tests• C ─ All 20 participate in awareness trainingof 39 primary “carers”- Charts ,Posters ,DVDs, InteractionVTT TRAINING CASCADE A to E
35. 2013 RI CONVENTION• D ─ Discussion with 19 from Women’sGroups(8) including 8 IW Members – wayforward with ASHAs and NRHM• E ─ Legacy - Training Materials, DVDs,Fetal Heart Monitors ─ Mentoring, ReturnVisitsEvaluation in Sikkim showed thatthe training cascade works !VTT TRAINING CASCADE A to E
36. 2013 RI CONVENTIONPLEASE LISTEN CAREFULLY…….
37. 2013 RI CONVENTIONCASE OF A COLLAPSED PREGNANT WOMAN
38. 2013 RI CONVENTIONPLEASE CONCENTRATE
39. 2013 RI CONVENTIONCOULD YOU SHOW THAT AGAIN?
40. 2013 RI CONVENTIONOOPS ! BE CAREFUL – IT HURTS!
41. 2013 RI CONVENTIONMEETING WITH GOVERNMENTRotary’s Advocacy role
42. 2013 RI CONVENTIONMAY WE JOIN YOU, LADIES?ASHA’s Advocacy role
43. 2013 RI CONVENTIONWELL DONE TEAM – YOU CAN SMILE!
44. 2013 RI CONVENTION• Sustainable• Incorporates monitoring and evaluation• Collaboration with other organizations• Builds knowledge and evidence• Empowers communities, Rotary andpartnersWHY IS CALMED IMPORTANT?
45. 2013 RI CONVENTIONNEXT STEPS• District 1120 is going to Bihar, District3250 in December,2013 ……
46. 2013 RI CONVENTIONPLEASE JOIN THE REVOLUTIONemail@example.comPlease visit us in Booth 1112