STATE OF THE DISTRICT; ITS
CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES.
DG CHARLES ONIANWA,
On the Occasion of the 2014
REACH OUT TO AFRICA
Date: 27th -29th April, 2014
White Sands hotel, Resort & Conference
Center, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
The Rotary year 2013/14 is a year in which
being a Rotarian is a commitment and every
Rotarian contribution is valued.
2. District Goals and Program Emphases:
• Continuity of RI first choice priority project –
• Rotarians and Clubs participation in the Polio
Immunization efforts were overwhelming.
• District Polio Plus Committee equally initiated
an award process for individuals and Clubs.
•District organized a Polio Plus Seminar,
sponsored by Nigeria National Polio Plus
Committee (NNPPC). The first of its kind in our
•Polio Plus District report efforts resulted in the
Cumulative donation of over US$92,616.10
towards Polio Eradication (Inclusive of
US$43,500.00 for DDF).
•Other Polio Eradication Programmes organized
by the District:
END POLIO NOW GOLF KITTY, Tournament
Rotary Foundation Seminar Fund Raising
Clubs Massive Campaign Awareness on Polio
day – 24th October, 2013.
Erection of END POLIO BILL BOARD of
the RI Polio Ambassador, Sir Emeka Offor,
strategically at Onitsha, Oraifite and
Polio Immunization (NIDs) Exercise flag-
off by TRF Trustee Chair, PRIP D.K. Lee
and Sir Emeka Offor at Portharcourt
Chartered 5 new clubs
Explored New Generation (Youth Service)
–Clubs carried out Programmes/Projects in all
six areas of focus.
DISTRICT CHALLENGES: TRF Suspension
on Grant Fund.
• Water and Sanitation is a household project in
D9140 with high demand.
• But here lies the greatest challenge for the
District with the TRF Suspension over grant
1. Project Monitoring Committee
2. Grant Stewardship Committee
3.Grant Financial management Plan.
● Membership Retention
• Only two (2) Clubs with outstanding audit
Other challenges are:
• Membership increase/retention and reporting
• Participation in RF Grant Funds.
• Improve Projects Stewardship reporting
• Improve collection of both RI and District dues.
• Have improved Communication with Clubs
• Follow due procedures in communicating with
RI and RF.
• ROTARY FOUNDATION
– District 100% participation in the 1st Class
– Clubs have raised over 200 Paul Harris Fellows
– One Arch Klumph C. Society (AKS) member
– At least twelve (12) major donors (levels 1& 2)
– RC Ekpan – 100% Every Rotarian, Every year/1ST
– Three (3) Benefactors
– District 9140 contribution to TRF:
• Share fund
• Polio Plus
• Launch of 11 charter members for Paul Harris Society (PHS)
• PUBLIC IMAGE
District 9140 NEW PR GRANT Application was
Approved sum US$ 22,000(NGN3.5m)
A multi-District application with the 3 Districts
To erect Polio Plus bill board/membership
campaign in 5 locations in the District.
Campaign has been successfully carried out.
Visit the District website: www.rotaryd9140.org
Gift of life program:
The three (3) Districts in Nigeria have come
together to carry out the project under a Global
Grant to help Nigerian children suffering with
Congenital Cardiac problems with Surgical
treatment in India and trained the Doctors in
Nigeria to be able to handle such surgeries
This project has been assigned GG 1414180
and D9140 has committed a total sum of
$ 6,250 from our DDF.
Extend Rotary in areas that are referred to as