Streaming Live Video
The DV Show’s Short Guide to Using Windows Media Encoder
This guide will explain the basic steps to stream live TV over the internet or your local network
using Windows Media Encoder (wmv video).
Capture card with TV-in/Video-in
Windows Media Encoder 9 (freeware)
Be sure your camcorder is connected to a capture card and turned on
Start Windows Media Encoder and close the Wizard.
1. Under Tools->Options change to NTSC if you live in a NTSC country(USA, Canada, Japan)
and PAL if you live in a PAL country(basicly the rest of the world)
Make a new session by click on New session or under File->New
1.Select Broadcast a live event
Configure Capture device options
1.Change to your default capture device.
2.Click on configure to change capture device default settings, this is different between
capture devices. I usually use low resolutions for streaming over the net so
352/320x240(NTSC) or 384/352x288(PAL) should be enough.
1. Select Pull from the encoder
1. Click on Find Free Port
2. Copy the URL (this is your IP and you must be online when you do this)
1. Under Video and audio you can select different video and audio quality templates, I usually
use low quality like VHS templates.
2. Choose the bitrate, higher bitrate means better quality but it requires faster internet.
1. If you want to archive the capture specify a location
2. Hit Finish
Encoding and streaming
1. Start the Encoding
1. To view the stream just use the URL you copied above and paste it in Windows Media Player
using File->Open URL. You can play it in some other Video Players also but it may require that
you replace the http:// in the url with mms://, like mms://192.168.0.1:3044 .