1. GPB Video Streaming Guided Practice
The guided practice assignment will explore the different types of media resources available
such as videos, images, lesson plans and quizzes. The assignment will also have you
explore several of the unitedstreaming web site tools for the classroom.
Setting Up Your Account
Each teacher must create an individual username and password. The log in also requires the
“one-time” use of a passcode that is unique to a school/location. You will need to contact
your Media Specialist to obtain the passcode. Previous GPB unitedstreaming school
usernames and passwords are no longer valid.
1. Go to the unitedstreaming web site: http://gpb.unitedstreaming.com/
2. Type in the passcode and click Go.
Obtain code from Media Specialist
Write down username and password:
Searching by State Standards
1. Click on the Home link at the top of the window.
2. Under Curriculum Standards Search at the bottom of the page, click the drop down arrow
and select Georgia, Social Studies, and 11th grade and click Go.
3. The search returns a list of standards and a link to the videos that support the standard.
2. 4. Click on the “videos meeting the standard” link to view videos supporting the standard.
Searching for Video Resources Media, Grade and Subject
You can locate resources three ways- browsing by subject, by grade level or by state
1. Click on the Home link at the top of the page.
2. Click on the Social Studies link on the left side of the
3. View the left panel of the window.
4. You have the ability to narrow your search by Media
Type, by Subject or by Grade.
5. Click on Video Segments under Media Type,
Geography under Subject and then 6-8 under Grade.
6. A list of videos is now listed for 6-8th grade Geography.
Working with Videos
1. Click on link of the first topic listed in the search. Note: the order of topics can change
when the unitedstreaming site is updated. The first item on the list might not be the “San
Andreas Fault and Earthquakes.”
3. 2. The length of each video segment
is in parenthesis to the right of the
3. To play the video directly from the
Internet (video streaming) click on
the green arrow to the left of the
4. To save the video and play later
click on the save icon.
Play the Video
1. Click on the Play icon on the first segment and view the video. The video will take a little
time to load (note the % of buffering).
2. The video pane is similar to a VCR. You can stop, start, pause, go forward and return to
an earlier part of the video by clicking on the appropriate buttons on the screen.
Note- Windows Media should be selected for PC users and QuickTime for Macs.
Save the Video
1. Click on the Save icon beside the first
2. Click on Save.
3. You can double click on the saved file
to play the video.
Video Player buttons
4. Searching for Images
1. Click on the Home icon.
2. Click on Social Studies on the left side of the window.
3. Click on Images.
4. Narrow the search of images by clicking on World History.
5. Images for the search are displayed on the right side of the window.
6. Click on the first image.
7. You can download the image to use in PowerPoint, a Word document or in video editing
software (MovieMaker, iMovie, Photo Story 3).
Example of downloading and image:
8. Click on the Medium link and then click on Save.
5. Alternate Image Search
1. Click on the Home icon at the top of any page in unitedstreaming.
2. You will see a search box. Type in the name for an image you would like to find. In the
within drop down box, choose images. Click GO.
3. Once you locate an image, click on it.
Exploring other Resources:
1. Click on the Home icon at the top of the page.
2. Type Salem Witch Trials in the search box and select Video Segments from drop down
3. Click on the Salem Witch Trials link.
4. Most videos comes with citations for references and related materials to support the
6. 5. Click on the Citations link.
6. Click on the Related Materials
7. From here you can click on the
Curriculum Standards associated
with the video or click on the
Teacher’s Guide to assist in
planning a lesson with the video.
8. Explore both links.
Teacher Center Resources
1. Click on the Teacher Center link at the top of the page.
2. Click on the Calendar icon.
3. The calendar resource page list significant events for
each curricular area on the right side of the page.
4. Click a date on the calendar that has a red star.
Information about the date appears on the right side of
the window with supplemental video resource links.
5. Click on the Teacher Center link and click on the
Lesson Plan Library icon.
6. Explore the resources.
7. Return to the Teacher Center and click on Quiz Builder.
8. Explore how to create a quiz and how to search for available quizzes.
7. Using PowerPoint with Saved Images and Videos
You can insert a saved image into a PowerPoint presentation. You can also hyperlink or
embed a saved video. We will use the image and video segment that was saved in
Inserting an Image
1. Click on StartProgramsMicrosoft OfficePowerPoint.
2. Click on FormatSlide Layout.
3. Click on the Title Only layout.
4. Click the text box and type in a title for an image that you saved. For example
“Fisherman in Africa”
5. Click out of the text box by clicking anywhere on the slide.
6. On the Menu bar, click on InsertPictureFrom File.
7. Locate and select the saved image.
8. The image will appear on the slide.
9. Do not close out of PowerPoint.
Hyperlink to a Video
When you add a video hyperlink in a PowerPoint presentation, the video will play in a stand-
alone player. This allows you to Start, Stop, Pause, Fast Forward & Rewind.
1. Click on InsertNew Slide
2. Click on FormatSlide Layout.
3. Click on the Title Only layout.
4. Click the text box and type in a title for the saved video. For example: “States of the
8. 5. Click inside the text box and again and highlight the text by clicking and dragging the
mouse of the words.
6. Click on InsertHyperlink.
7. Locate and select a saved video segment.
8. Double click on the video segment.
9. The text that was highlighted is now underlined. To test the hyperlink you will need to
view the PowerPoint presentation.
10. On the Menu bar click on Slide ShowView Show.
11. Use the right arrow key to navigate to the next slide.
12. Click on the text and the video will open in the video player.
13. Return to the PowerPoint presentation by click on the icon on the task bar.
Embedding a Video
Embedding is physically inserting the actual downloaded video into the application so it plays
within the application. Important- Even though the video is embedded, the PowerPoint
presentation will need to “see” the video file which requires that you save the PowerPoint and
video in the same folder.
1. You will return to PowerPoint.
2. Click on InsertNew Slide.
3. Click on FormatSlide Layout and select Title Only.
4. Click the text box and type the title of the video. Click out of the textbox.
5. On the Menu bar click on InsertMovies and SoundsMovie from File.
6. Locate and select a saved video.
7. Select the “When Clicked” button.
8. On the Menu bar click on Slide ShowView Show.
9. Use the arrow key to advance to the slide.
10. Click on the video window and the video will begin playing directly in PowerPoint.
11. Press the Esc key (top left corner of the keyboard). This will stop the presentation.
12. Save the PowerPoint.