2. WHAT IS 3D LASER SCANNINGA technology that digitally captures theshape of physical objects using a lineof laser light.Digitally creates “point clouds” of datafrom the surface of an object capturingits exact size and shape.Measures fine details and capturesfree-form shapes to quickly generatehighly accurate point clouds.3D laser scanning is especially suited to themeasurement and inspection of contoured surfacesand complex geometries
3. WHY USE LASER SCANNING?SafetyBudgetScheduleScopeQuality
4. SAFETYReduces risks associated with climbingReduces risk associated with burnsReduces risk to chemical exposureReduces time required in process areafor data collectionEnhancessafety review
5. BUDGETCan significantly reduce fieldtime..….Time equals moneyIf changes are required during design,may mitigate need to revisit site to collectfield dataSignificantly reduces accuracy errorsassociated with traditional fieldmeasurements….Less rework andchange orders.The amount of data collected exposesmore potential clashes and conflicts thusmitigating hits to the budget
6. SCHEDULEDesign: The visualization provided by the three dimensionalbackground facilitates more efficient execution ofdesign. The amount of data collected exposes more potentialclashes and conflicts, reducing errors; thus, mitigatinghits to the schedule If changes are required during design, may mitigateneed to revisit site to collect field dataData Collection: accelerates design deliverable throughreduction in field data collection time.
7. SCOPEProvides a snapshot in time of the as builtconfiguration in 3d format.Helps capture items that may have beenmissed in original scope definitionEnhances communicationof scope at model reviewsby introducing the existingand planned configurations
8. QUALITYProvides a check against manual fielddimensions and existing as-built drawingsCollects data to exposeclashes and conflictsespecially in complex /congested areas.Significantly reducesaccuracy errors associatedwith traditional fieldmeasurements
9. BENEFICIARIESDesign teamEngineers: ability to pull data from pointcloud to be used for analyticalcalculations.Project managers: provides for moreeffective communication of existing andplanned conditions to stake holders.Construction: Reduces reworkOperation and maintenance for training