When there's 92 professional football
why are there only 3 black managers?
• Synopsis – With the percentage of footballers
being 50% black and 50% white and the
majority of managers being ex-footballers why
are there only 3 black managers? Jacob Miller
Research Into Existing Texts
• The Imposter
• Kurt & Courtney
• Frost & McCartney
• Biggie &Tupac
• The Million Dollar Conman
• Is Football Racist
• Stadiums Of Hate
The Imposter was a cinematic documentary
All documentaries had key interviews
Voiceovers were used in all documentaries
All documentaries used archive footage and
• All documentaries had one key interview and
other shorter but very important
Research Into Target Audience
• Primary target audience – Mixed ethnicity, males,
35-45 and lower to middle class.
• Questionnaire and interview as well as
demographic and behavioral profiling.
• With the use of a questionnaire I know now what
my primary audience want in the documentary
• Interviewing someone who fits into my target
audience I now know what conventions appeal to
Development Of Ideas
• Original idea was generally about racism in
• Final idea - Why are there only 4 black
managers in all 92 professional football clubs?
• The number of managers had gone down.
• Became more specific and went from racism
in football too the low numbers of black
managers this was due to my feedback from
-Interview with Marcus Gayle a black
-Interview with James Roper ( Editor/
Creative Director of the green soccer
• Anti-discrimination chief Jeffery Webb says
there needs to be an urgency to involve nonwhite people with football clubs.
• Rooney rule is a rule that means that at least
one non-white has to be a candidate for the
• Football is as meritocratic as any industry in
Britain so why are there so few black
managers, assistant managers and coaches?
• The English league isn’t ready for the Rooney
rule says Brendan Batson
Costs & Budgeting
• Budget of £300 split between Hand held mic, boom
mic and 2 cameras
• All facilities will not cost anything.
• Within the budget I will have to pay for one crew
Purpose and filling a gap in the market
• Cheap distribution methods so will always
• Also all football documentarys I have seen
touch on the topic but there is not a
documentary out there that is specifically
about this subject.
Placement & Distribution Strategy
• YouTube short documentary channel.
• Links with online newspaper companies.
• Advertise on twitter and at local football