1. Effectiveness of road sector dialogueLessons from 15 years of experience in Cameroon 15 years of road sector dialogue in Cameroon Romain Pison
2. 1- Objectives of this presentation Report the Analyze the Stress the links contribution of road programs between EDF for roads over the past 15 programs and in Cameroun years achievements Characterize Identify the road sector Highlight the successes and dialogue based best conditions failures of on review from for reform and programs and the Court of progress for the dialogue Auditors future 15 years of road sector dialogue in Cameroon Romain Pison
3. 2- How the EDF contributed to the road network in 15 years ? Tikar Plain Figuil – Maroua (102 Km) (115 Km) 7th EDF 10th EDF Rehabilitated in 2001 Under construction Total expenditure: 14 M€ Total committed: 50 M€ Garoua – Figuil (90 Km) Lake Nyos 9th EDF (10 Km) Total expenditure: 30 M€ 9th EDF Rehabilitated in 2011 N’Gaoundéré – Touboro Total expenditure: 3 M€ (265 Km) 8th EDF Muéa – Kumba Constructed in 2004 (62 Km) Total expenditure: 90 M€ Rehabilitated in 2010 9th EDFTotal expenditure: 50 M€ Garoua Boulai – Nandéké (86 Km) 10th EDF Under construction Total committed: 90 M€ Bertoua – Garoua Boulai (250 Km) 7th EDF Rehabilitated in 2002 Total expenditure: 70 M€ Douala – Yaoundé Yaoundé – Ayos Road safety (126 Km) 9th EDF 8th EDF Total expenditure: 5 M€ Rehabilitated in 2001 Total expenditure: 50 M€
4. 2- How the EDF contributed to the road network in 15 years ? 450 M€ invested 1000km of paved (30M€ / year) 100km of unpaved roads (out of 1300M€ - roads (out of 4900km) country internal (out of 45000km) (20%) resources) (35%) • 200M€ / year : 300M€ / year : (out of 2100M€ - country overall national road country overall current budget for master plan resources) road (2012 – recommended (20%) capital, repair and budget (2012) maintenance) 15 years of road sector dialogue in Cameroon Romain Pison
5. 3- Promotion of adequate funding of road maintenance Cameroon road capital, repair and maintenance budgets over the past 15 years Increase in overall budget in the past 15300 years partly through EDF in roads (M€) Financial gap (100M€) debt (trend starting250 ? 2003, additional loans CMR annual budget - with WB, AfDB). New200 own resources (M€) donors (China mainly)150 increasing influence CMR external - debts and grants - except100 EDF (M€) Stable contribution of50 CMR total budget - EDF to road sector in external and debt included (M€) the past 15 years (even 0 true for the past 50 98 00 02 04 06 08 10 r ea years). Focus on paved 19 20 20 20 20 20 20 Y roads (corridor, large Legal and institutional Conditions: Increase in own infrastructure, regional related conditions on RF “Maintaining or resources partly through integration). increasing RF EU and IFIs conditions budget” on RF. Positive impact Conditions: 23M€ RF with quantitative budget increase in conditions. Little impact 2006, then 17M€ with under ambitious or increase during 2006- formal conditions. 2008 15 years of road sector dialogue in Cameroon Romain Pison
6. 3- Promotion of adequate funding of road maintenance Cameroon road capital, repair and maintenance budgets : 1997-2012 average breakdown of road financing sources in breakdown and evolution Cameroon100% 17% 21%90% CMR external - EDF in roads80% debts and grants - (M€) except EDF70%60% CMR annual CMR annual50% budget - own budget - own40% resources resources (M€)30% EDF in roads CMR external -20% debts and grants10% ? - except EDF 0% (M€) 62% 98 00 02 04 06 08 10 ar Ye 19 20 20 20 20 20 20 1997 breakdow n of road financing sources in 2012 breakdown of road financing sources in Cameroon Cam eroon 13% EDF in roads (M€) Overall decrease in EDF 15% EDF in roads (M€) 20% share of road financing 35% CMR annual budget in Cameroon in the last CMR annual - ow n resources 15 years, from 35% to budget - own resources (M€) (M€) 15%. Important enough CMR external - CMR external - debts and grants - debts and grants - to leverage and foster except EDF (M€) 52% 65% except EDF (M€) road sector dialogue? 15 years of road sector dialogue in Cameroon Romain Pison
7. 4- Effectiveness to address road maintenance Evolution of road network conditions during the past 15 years in Cameroon Difficulty to foster dialogue with Government on 100% efficiency-related issues. 90% Road management 80% performance, road agency 70% or sector-wide procurement 60% Poor policies are discussed 50% Fair Good without specific targets. 40% 30% 20% Road financing itself is 10% ? not sufficient. Despite 0% 1997 1999 2000 2003 2008 2009 2011 2003-2008 Year increase, little capacity to execute programs caused RF Limited budget execution overliquidities andReduction to budget allocated and issues in procuringto maintenance during 2001- delays in maintenance road work contracts have 2003 created substantial delays How to set performance in road maintenance related conditions when Condition : RF budget increase of activities. EDF will now not demand driven? 40M€ during 2004-2008 finance technical How to set financing (representing a 50% increase assistance program to related specific compared to 2004 budget) improve programming and conditions on a long contracting. term issue?
8. 5- Contribution to the institutional capacity Substantial progress in the financing of the road Most of the issues andsector, overloading, techn weaknesses relate to the ical audits of the administration. How to ……..…………….. BUT ………......……… deal with an organization works, and to some extent the capacity of that does not accept its SMEs / contractors / flaws and does not want to supervision change? MoU 2nd generation How to set up Maintenance privatization Audits Road Fund performance based conditions on short and Road Fund medium term? Should Road Agency we move in a direction Transport Sector Policy the Government is not Vocational training willing to take? Ministry reform Ministry performance improvement ?1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Year Not enforced Functional
9. 6- Effectiveness to address vehicle overloading Average evolution of overloaded vehicles on Cameroon road Enabling legal network (1997-2012) environment with law passed by the 100 50 Government. 90 Controled vehicles in overloading (%) Demand driven and 80 40 mature activityOverloading rate 70 30 requiring simple 60 Controled vehicles in control sets. 50 20 extreme overloading 40 >10t (%) 10 30 20 0 Linear Trendline for Continuous EDF overloading in ambitious conditions 10 ? Cameroon 0 -10 on both number of stations (outputs) and 97 99 01 03 05 07 09 11 19 19 20 20 20 20 20 20 overloading rate Year performance (outcome) during the First weighting EDF condition to last 15 years stations built. EDF aim for 10% Staff related condition on policy overloading opportunities to fully use momentum. EDF Law on New team in Ministry in charge of fully financing activitiesprotection of protection of network. Additional when efficient roads and EDF financing to rehabilitate and Government team / weighting build weighting stations (from 5 in champion was in policy 2005 to 16 stations in 2009) charge.
10. 7- Take out, questions and recommendations Overall decrease in Despite RF increase 450 M€ invested in EU and IFIs conditions EDF share of road the last 15 years on Road Fund : (2003-2008), little financing. Important capacity to execute (30M€ / year) positive impact if enough to leverage (20% total invested) quantitative conditions. programs caused and foster road sector overliquidities, delays …. gap 100M€/year Strict conditions have dialogue? Or good Increasing debts or led to a 50% increase in maintenance, and sign that the sector is institutional regresses raising RUC? of the RF. opening up? How to set Continuous and Staff related Enabling legal performance related ambitious EDF opportunities to fully environment provided conditions when not conditions on both use momentum. EDF by Government, not demand driven? How stations (outputs) and fully financing EDF. Demand driven to set program overloading rate activities when activity requiring financing related (outcome) during the efficient Government simple control sets specific conditions on last 15 years team was in charge. that have been a long term issue? contracted out 15 years of road sector dialogue in Cameroon Romain Pison
11. Thank you for the attention! Romain PISON Program Officer Infrastructure DEU Cameroon email@example.com 15 years of road sector dialogue in Cameroon Romain Pison