1. Catching FireBy: Suzanne Collins Colleen McCormack Reading Miss Roach Period Five We d ne s d a y May 2
2. Suzanne Collins Suzanne Collins is a very well-known author for her hit series The Hunger Games. She has written a numerous amounts of good books. Suzanne was born in the year of 1962. For college she went to Alabama School of Fine Arts. She also went to New York University. She was awarded MFA in Dramatic Writing. Her first career was The New York Times by writing the best selling five part fantasy and war like series The Underland Chronicles. Than she wrote The Hunger Games. She was able to be in the top 100 writes in 2010. She now writes young adult books. And she currently lives in Connecticut with two kids and a loved husband.
3. Summery• Catching Fire was such a interesting book to read. It tells you the story of what happens to Katniss Everdeen as she returns to her home in district twelve after she and Peeta won the seventy- fourth Hunger Games. She goes through a lot for such a young girl such as: finding her true love, helping her family, getting whipped, her wedding planning,finding out what is happening to the other districts,trying to ‘destroy her president, and fighting for the second time with men twice her age. She gets back from the games with Peeta Mellark- her ‘true’ love. They move into the Victor Village of district twelve. Than with Effie, Haymitch, and their personal designers, they set off on the Victor’s Tour. Than Katniss realizes that she must enter the arena yet again?
4. Characters• Katniss Everdeen- Katniss is a seventeen year old girl who is currently engaged with Peeta Mellark. She won the seventy-fourth Hunger Games with Peeta as well. And she in two Hunger Games, her second called the Quarter Quell.• Peeta Mellark- Peeta is a seventeen year old boy who loves to paint, bake, and express himself through what he likes best. He is in love with Katniss Everdeen. He, just like Katniss, has also been in two Hunger Games as well. He gets captured by the capitol with Johanna and Enoboria.• Haymitch Abernathy- Haymitch was Peeta and Katniss’ mentor, but he also fights in the third Quarter Quell. He is usually drunk and sleeps during the day- and sometimes I think he is not a people person.• Johanna Mason- she is the tribute for district seven. She does become alias with the whole gang of alias( Katniss, Peeta, Haymitch, Finnick, Mags, Beetee, and Wiress.)And she is also captured with Peeta and Enoboria.• Gale Hawthorne- Gale is some what in love with Katniss but sometimes his anger might get the best of him. He gets whipped for hunting illegally and wants to be with Katniss.
5. Plot Introduction• President Snow went to Katniss’ house and talked to Katniss and said that he was not convinced that her and Peeta were in love.• Peeta, Katniss, Haymitch, Effie, and the design crews all went on the Victory Tour that travels the Panem. Rising Action• Peeta and Katniss get back from the tour and walk around town to discuss something about escaping and that come across the ‘Town Square‘ and see a huge crowd.• That crowd is watching Katniss’ best friend, Gale Hawthorne, getting whipped constantly. Katniss interrupts and than she gets slashed across her own face.• Katniss and Gale recover, Katniss than goes to the woods and meets Bonnie and Twill, two girls who escaped an uprising/rebellion in district eight. Than Katniss helps them out and she heads back home. Katniss than heard the buzz sound in the fence and climbed up a tree, dropped her bad in to the thick snow, and fell (about 40 feet.) to the ground, she hurt her ankle and figures something out.
6. Plot Continued Climax• Katniss, Peeta, and Haymitch all figure out that they will fight in the Third Annual Quarter Quell, or the Seventy-fifth Hunger Games.• Falling Action• Katniss, Peeta, and Haymitch all go to the training camp and find their alias.• They meet- Johanna Mason, Beetee. Finnnick, Mags, and Wiress.• The games have begun.• Conclusion• Wiress died because of Gloss from district one.• Mags died to save Peeta.• And read the rest of the book to find out what happens next.
7. New Vocabulary• Capricious- page 35.- adj. subject to, led by, or indicative of caprice or whim; erratic: The shift in shade is no doubt an attempt to stay abreast of the capricious fashion trends of the capitol.• Subdue- page 145.- verb.to conquer and bring into subjection into overpower by superior force; overcome It took less than forty-eight hours to subdue the city unwittingly.• Hysteria- page 212.- noun. an uncontrollable outburst of emotion or fear, oftencharacterized by irrationality, laughte r, weeping, etc. I simply fix my eyes on a point far in the distance and pretend there is no audience, no hysteria.• Reluctance- page 267.- noun. unwillingness; disinclination But I guess I had hoped people might show some… what? Restraint? Reluctance, at least.• Irretrievable- page 340.- adj. not retrievable; irrecoverable; irreparable.
8. Starring ActorsAlexander Ludwig as Selena Gomez as Katniss Everdeen.Peeta Mellark
9. Starring Actors Taylor Lautner as Gale HawthorneJohnny Depp as Haymitch Abernathy
10. Starring Actors Mags as Betty WhiteJohanna Mason played by: Anna Kendrick
11. Starring ActorsPrimrose Everdeen played by: Bailee MadisonMrs. Everdeen as Jennifer Aniston
12. Soundtrack Tunes • I think a good song for Catching Fire is Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You) by Kelly Clarkson. I think it is a appropriate song for Catching Fire because Katniss gets stronger and braver every time she hurts herself or if she is in a battle.Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (What Doesnt Kill You) Audio
13. Soundtrack ContinueWhat doesnt kill you makes you stronger Stand a little taller Doesnt mean Im lonely when Im alone What doesnt kill you makes a fire Put that thing on lighter Doesnt mean Im over cause you’re gone What doesnt kill you makes you stronger, stronger Just me, myself and I What doesnt kill you makes you stronger Stand a little taller Doesnt mean Im lonely when Im alone
14. Rating• I give Catching Fire a rating of…I gave this book five out of five stars because it was aentertaining book that was a perfect combination of love, a tint ofmystery, and violence. This book I would recommend to anyoneI meet. I think Suzanne Collins is a writing machine who doesnot know how much her books are loved. She wrote non-stopaction. I truly enjoyed this book a lot and I would read it again ina heart beat!
15. Other Books I Recommend• What I wanted to say here is that I have really enjoyed the Hunger Game series. I still have to read the third book, but I would recommend this series to anyone.• The Hunger Games• Catching Fire• Mocking Jay• All written by Suzanne Collins.• Other wise, I would prefer the Percy Jackson series. I do not really know why, but when I was reading this book, I (for some reason) kept thinking about the Percy Jackson series written by Rick Riordan