Robin Goel of OMLogic Consulting Presenting on Twitter and its Importance in Business.
May 1st, 2009
What is Twitter ?
• Twitter is a social networking and micro-
blogging service that allows you answer the
question, quot;What are you doing?quot; by sending
short text messages 140 characters in
length, called quot;tweetsquot;, to your friends, or
quot;tweetsquot;, to your friends, or quot;followers.quot;
Our communication tools are shrinking…
Welcome to Microblogging Revolution
Why do people use Twitter ?
t keeps you connected with:
iIt keeps you connected with :g
o Your community
o Your industry
o Your friends
o Your world
Twitter helps businesses:
o Raise awareness
o Offer proactive customer service
o Answer questions
o Promote events, products, services
o Network and partner
o Internal Pipe - Yammer
Businesses should NOT:
o Be sales-oriented robots
o Be repetitive and dull
o Follow too many people at once
o Be conversational
o Jump in the discussion
o Pay attention
o Pace themselves
Business Example: Zappos
• Zappos (@zappos)
– Customer service
– Company transparency
– Brand proliferation
• Other examples:
– Comcast (@comcastcares)
– Dell.com (@delloutlet)
– Motore Coffee (@motore)
• Tweets = 140-character updates on Twitter
• Follower = A user interested in your updates
• @ = Public conversations
• # = Adding a tag to a tweet
• RT = Retweeting is sharing tweets with others
• d = Direct messages are similar to e-mails
- Integrates your Flickr account with your Twitter account.
- Automatically post a new tweet in your Twitter account
whenever you have added new images in your Flickr account.
- Update your Twitter via videos instead of words.
- Upload your video and a short description about it.
3. Twit Wall
- Got frustrated with 140 limited characters.
- Login with your existing Twitter account.
- Now you can write Tweets that are over 140 characters.
- A Messenger- like software, free to download and install.
- Post Tweets like sending messages using instant
- Also see Tweets from those whom you're following on
5. Group Tweet
- Allows you to set up a Twitter group, get your friends,
- Broadcast your Tweets visible to your group members
- A Yellow Pages like service for Twitter.
- A Search engine for Twitter.
- one is able to add other social links like Facebook,
Linkedin, Digg etc, which they belong to.
- Find the hottest topic people are tweeting right now.
- Allows allow you to either enter a keyword or a person's
Twitter name to track a conversation, topic or conference.
- Results refreshes every 20 seconds.
- Tells you who stops following you and graphs your follower
- See all of your followers or friends on one page. Filter them
by keywords in their description.
- See where your followers are in the world on a Google map
and find out where your follower base is strongest.
- Get relevant followers by recommending you to them.
- Discover great people relevant to your current needs.
- Improve your Twitter usage via useful statistics.
10. Tweet Deck
- Personal browser for staying in touch with happening
around the world.
- Update Facebook and follow your Facebook friends.
- Columns to create personal dashboard.
“Those who criticise use of Twitter at work haven't
seen the tectonic plates moving…
…social networks such as these are the way
businesses will be run in the future…”
Victor Keegan, The Guardian