• Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database
management system which stores data in tabular
format that is columns and rows wise.
• Components of Sql server
1. Database Engine
2. Sql Server Integration Services (SSIS)
3. Sql Server Analyses Services (SSAS)
4. Sql Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
• Its task is to provide cores functionalities that
is storing and retrieving the data in very
1. Creating database objects like table, view, stored procedure
2. Retrieving, updating, inserting, deleting or merging data from
different database objects.
3. Sending email notification when data is modified.
4. Perform some database scheduled jobs etc.
• It can load the 1 TB data in 30 minutes.
• Its task is to extract the data from different sources likes
databases, raw files, XML etc, perform some operations (likes
data cleaning, sending emails etc) and load the data into
• Download the data from FTP severs, correct the spelling, verb
forms etc of data and save in the XML file.
• Its task is to create multi dimensional data
structure of an OLAP system, analyze and
aggregate the data. Also it implements
various data mining models.
1. Get the detail information of sold car over last 10 years for
that family which has three children.
2. Forecasting sales in coming year etc.
• Generate a report by getting data from
different tables in PDF format.
• Generate a report to display total sales in
different location of a country in map view.
• Generate a pie chart to display purchase
Server Vs Client
1. What is difference between Sql Server and
2. What is difference between MySql Server
and MySql Workbench?
5. GROUP BY
6. WITH CUBE or WITH ROLLUP
10. ORDER BY
• This clause filters the records from data
• Wrongly written filter predicates(conditions)
can badly decreases the query performance.
Does order of predicates matters in
Comparison with string is costlier than integer comparison.
LIKE is itself a costly operator.
• Also if first filter condition will return less result set then
other filter condition has to perform less number of
ORDER BY Clause
• Syntax: ORDER BY <Expression>
[ASC | DESC]
• What is Default sort order?
• Syntax: TOP(Expression) [PERCENT] [WITH TIES]
• Only specified first set or percent rows will be
• It returns random rows.
• MySql equivalent is LIMIT clause.
GROUP BY Clause
Note: In MySql GROUP BY clause all sort the
data according group by columns.
HAVING Vs WHERE
• Syntax: [HAVING <Search Condition>]
• Having clause filters the records in the group.
• Where clause filter filters the records in the