RESUME OF GARY W. THOMAS
Name: Gary W. Thomas
Address: 1784 Kirkmont Drive
City / State: San Jose, California, U.S.A.
Postal Code: 95124-1235
Online Resume: http://thomasland.org/resume
Profile / References: http://www.linkedin.com/in/garythomas
Career focus: Technology Marketing Management
Preferred function: Individual Contributor, Group Manager or Director
Preferred category: Product Marketing, Channel Marketing, Marketing Communications
Preferred industries: Computer Networking, Network Security, SaaS, GPS, Alternative Energy
Recent functions: Independent Marketing Consultant, Product Marketing Director, Senior
Product Marketing Manager, Solutions Marketing Manager
Networking background: Gigabit Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Ethernet, Token Ring, ATM, FDDI; routers,
switches, appliances, wireless, access points, hubs, management
Security background: Firewall, IP-SEC, URL filters, VPN, SSL VPN, NAC, Cisco IOS Intrusion
Prevention System (IPS)
Voice over IP background: Functions (PBX, IVR), Media (PoE, VoBB), Gateways (SIP, H.323,
PSTN/IP), Protocols (MGCP, TGCP, SRTP, SS7/C7, PESQ)
Wireless background: WiFi, 802.11b/g/n, 2G/3G/GSM, Cisco Land Mobile Radio
Experience: More than 25 years in Network and Telecom Product Marketing plus
Channel Marketing Promotions; 6 years as Field Systems Engineer
Education: Cambridge Institute at MIT – AT&T Professional Development Curriculum;
AT&T Field Systems Engineer Curriculum, Millersville University of
Pennsylvania; Delaware County College
Type of employment: Full time, regular
Salary requirements: Market competitive, negotiable
Current location: San Jose, California U.S.A.
Preferred work locations: Metro Silicon Valley including Campbell, Cupertino, Fremont, Los Gatos,
Milpitas, Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara and Sunnyvale
Previous employers: Teneros, Cisco Systems, Nortel Networks, Bay Networks, SynOptics
Communications, NCR Corporation, AT&T Bell Laboratories, AT&T
Computer Systems, Verizon
U.S. work authorization: Yes
Language skills: Fluent English
Office software skills: Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access), Internet
(Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Netscape, Front Page)
Certifications: Brainbench Certification, Marketing Concepts
Brainbench Certification, Marketing Strategy
Hobbies: Family, Photography, Railroading, Toy Trains, Diecast Cars, Web
Page 1 of 4
RESUME OF GARY W. THOMAS
To become a key contributor to the success of your business in a senior marketing role. This position would utilize my
breadth of experience in technology, solution, product and channel marketing, sales readiness, launch management,
customer acquisition and retention, marketing communications and field sales to strengthen your core team.
Dynamic leader recognized by peers as an excellent coach, team player and mentor. A creative hands-on problem solver
skilled in the planning and execution of successful programs throughout the full product lifecycle. Results-oriented and
effective at increasing company revenue. Consistently promoted to positions of increased responsibility. Oversee corporate
departments, including enterprise network hardware and software product marketing, launch management, demand
generation plus field and market communications. Expertise in articulating the features, benefits and values that satisfy
customer requirements in their terms. Ability to proactively anticipate, or react to, changes in competitive pressures.
San Jose, California (January 2007 – Present)
Founder and Marketing Consultant
Marketing consultation, product and solutions marketing, sales readiness, demand generation and custom marketing
services for small businesses.
• Services include the creation of go-to-market (GTM), launch plans, image packs, sales and end-user collateral,
success stories, slideware, direct marketing, project and agency management.
• Target clients encompass start-ups and pre-IPO companies who have yet to invest in internal marketing or who
need project assistance.
Mountain View, California (October 2007 – November 2007)
Director, Product Marketing
Product lines support for program strategy, competitive analysis, sales readiness and channel support of application
continuity appliances for Microsoft Exchange.
• Duties include converting technical positioning into key market messages.
• Launching new products into the business continuity market.
CISCO SYSTEMS, INC.
San Jose, California (January 2005 – February 2006)
Marketing Manager, Integrated Services Routers and VoIP Gateways
Product marketing and launch management for Cisco 2800 routers and AS5000 VoIP gateways.
• Managed marketing for integrated services routers (ISR), component modules and bundles to ensure the success
of router security upgrade programs.
• Launched new service provider voice gateway products globally, achieving over 60% conversion to the new
platform within 90 days of product launch.
• Managed collateral update process for over one hundred documents to ensure fresh and accurate content for
external and internal web sites.
Page 2 of 4
RESUME OF GARY W. THOMAS
San Jose, California (June 2002 – December 2004)
Founder and Chief Marketing Consultant
Services were designed to grow business without expanding marketing staffs, replace cold calls with qualified leads,
effortlessly open CxO doors via imaginative concepts, quickly create newsletters and direct touch programs plus
stretch small marketing budgets.
• Business plan included online self-service marketing and full-service agency options.
• Target clients included small semiconductor and integrated circuit developers, computer and networking resellers
(VARs), software-as-a-service (SaaS) companies, Internet service providers (ISPs) and system integrators (SIs).
NORTEL NETWORKS, BAY NETWORKS and SYNOPTICS COMMUNICATIONS
Santa Clara, California (January 1992 - May 2002)
Director, BayStack Product Marketing (January 2000 – May 2002)
Directed global marketing for workgroup networking products, including new product launches and sales tools.
• Championed branded product portfolio capabilities and developed differentiating messages to capture new low-
end LAN switch market revenue.
• Increased cross-selling revenue and made purchasing easier by changing web site focus from point products to
integrated network applications.
• Successfully managed products throughout their lifecycle including new product transition.
Director, SaaS Business Development (January 1999 – December 1999)
Led initial business development team chartered with building a software-as-a-service (SaaS) offer to enable service
providers to host Windows-based software in partnership with Epicon, Inc.
• Determined that Epicon, Inc. provided a key foundation element for the Nortel Preside Managed Application
Services Platform (PMASP) and promoted the merger of the development teams.
• Windows integration enabled a projected $700M revenue ramp over a 3-year period.
• Project culminated in the Nortel acquisition of Epicon, Inc. for $275M in June 2000.
Director, North American Small/Medium Business Marketing (January 1998 – December 1998)
Set the strategic direction for all marketing and related communications and training in new innovative program
targeting network equipment resellers who service small/medium businesses.
• Defined and executed go-to-market strategy to penetrate new high volume market.
• Instituted highly successful, large-scale reseller recruitment, education and sales incentive programs that
enrolled 6,000+ new resellers, 50% purchasing immediately.
• Developed sales automation and reseller storefront eCommerce applications.
• Successfully launched hub, switch, router, firewall and WLAN networking products by positioning branded
product family solutions that included network management software.
Director, Workgroup Product Marketing (January 1996 – December 1997)
Led groups responsible for Product Marketing, Launch Management and Direct Marketing. Provided global marketing
management for networking products, including launches, sales tools, channel development and sales support.
• Set new standard for Product Marketing quality and effectiveness as rated by peers.
• Authored and implemented ISO 9000-compliant new product introduction process (NPI), which ensured sales
readiness at launch time, thereby increasing product revenue ramp.
• Refined direct marketing process with proven return on investment (ROI).
• Pioneered the creation of web-based product configuration tools.
• Conducted briefing center visits and delivered seminars and trade show theater presentations.
Manager, Solutions Marketing (January 1992 – December 1995)
Supervised enterprise solutions marketing activities together with application and solution development, technology
positioning and pre-launch market conditioning.
• Identified key enterprise customer requirements and developed these concepts into key corporate market
• Authored and delivered highly acclaimed Network Design Seminar series.
Page 3 of 4
RESUME OF GARY W. THOMAS
• Authored companion white paper series as seminar follow-up collateral.
• Developed and delivered advanced customer and field education on backbone networking, switching, network
design and design preparation.
• Launched highly successful enterprise and workgroup Ethernet switching products
AT&T BELL LABORATORIES and NCR Corporation
Lincroft, Morristown and Bridgewater, New Jersey
Group Manager, Network Hardware Marketing (January 1989 – December 1991)
Led global marketing for hub and router lines of business. Managed group responsible for large deal sales support,
marketing programs, sales tools, training and technical sales support.
• Launched AT&T Ethernet hubs and OEM (Cisco Systems) routers.
• Developed marketing plans and ISO 9000-compliant information processes.
• Developed forward-looking programs, including Ethernet switching and ATM strategies.
• Captured cover stories in Network World, LAN Technology and Communications Week.
AT&T COMPUTER SYSTEMS and VERIZON
Metropolitan Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Delaware
Field Systems Engineer Levels I, II and III (January 1981 – December 1989)
Responsible for field sales support of telecom, data networking and computer solutions.
• Completed Master's program equivalent in MIS at Cambridge Institute at MIT – AT&T Professional
Development Curriculum under Professors John Donovan and Stuart Madnick.
• Interned on data switching network solutions at AT&T Bell Laboratories.
• Provided Level II and III pre-sales technical support and systems assurance
• Managed and supported nationwide data networking project for chemical industry leader.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
• Brainbench Certifications, Marketing Concepts and Strategy
• Cambridge Institute at MIT – AT&T Professional Development, Management Information Systems
• AT&T Field Systems Engineer Training Curriculum (Levels I, II and III)
• Delaware County College, Computer Science and Social Studies
• Millersville University of Pennsylvania, Secondary Education and Broadcast Journalism
• Philadelphia National Bank, International Financial Transactions
NON-VOCATIONAL PROJECTS AND AFFILIATIONS
• Member, Cisco, Nortel and AT&T Alumni Associations
• Member, Association of International Product Marketing Managers (AIPMM)
• Member, Booksin Elementary School Community Association (BESCA)
• Member, California State Railroad Museum (CSRM)
• Member, Hiller Aviation Museum
• Member, Monterey Bay Aquarium
• Member, The Nature Conservancy
• Member, The Sierra Club
• Member, Train Collectors Association (TCA)
• Past Co-chairman, Free Library of Philadelphia Annual Book Sales
• Past Co-chairman, National Thespian Society (NTS)
• Past Co-chairman, Philadelphia Chapter, American Wine Society (AWS)
• Past Volunteer Coordinator, WHYY-TV12 (Public Broadcasting Service)
Page 4 of 4