GENERAL MANAGER IT
Applications should be received by close of business Friday, 29 January 2010.
TransACT is a leading edge tier 2 telecommunications company based in Canberra and
regional Victoria, with over 120,000 product customers delivering voice, high speed
broadband, pay TV and mobile phone telephony services. Its leading edge technology
includes the recent deployment of Australia's first dedicated FTTP gateway serving multiple
suburbs in the north of Canberra. It also has a fast growing niche in the government and
mobile phone sector providing excellent growth to revenue and profit for the company.
Since 2001 TransACT has been rolling out a fibre-optic network to provide Canberra and
Queanbeyan with the next generation of communication services.
Complete TransACT services, consisting of Subscription television, broadband and phone,
are now available to more than 50 suburbs and over 25 suburbs have access to TransACT
phone and broadband services. In fact, TransACT services are now available to over 90,000
TransACT offers customers not only choice, but also convenience and savings as customers
can combine their telecommunication services. In effect, TransACT is a full service
telecommunications carrier offering telecommunication solutions to residents, businesses and
TransACT takes pride in assisting many local organisations to run their businesses more
efficiently, and has all local business precincts covered from Belconnen to Tuggeranong,
Mitchell to Fyshwick, Civic to Woden. Around 1,500 local businesses are connected to the
A priority for TransACT is supporting the community through a variety of sponsorships,
including the Canberra TransACT Capitals women's basketball team and broadcasting
Channelvision, locally produced content relevant to the Canberra community.
TransACT prides itself on being able to deliver a tailored solution for every communication
Recent achievements include:
• take-up rates of around one-third of all homes through TransACT-cabled areas, and
up to close to 100% in TransACT’s next generation GPON/ FTTP network
• progressively extending network coverage throughout Canberra and Queanbeyan
using fibre-optic cable, both in Greenfields to new estates which TransACT is
servicing through its GPON/ FTTP network, and in Brownfields in MDU’s with VDSL2
and trialling FTTP retrofits in TransACT’s FTTN/ VDSL Phase 1 network.
• TransACT is leading next generation FTTx solutions and has some 20,000 premises
in the ACT and NSW under agreement to rollout it’s wholesale GPON/ FTTP network
to, coupled together with TransACT’s triple play services.
• adding 20 new channels to TransTV, giving customers more than 60 channels, and
has recently started upgrading to the latest NBN ready IPTV platform, with next
generation STB with advanced PVR and EPG, middleware and DRM.
• securing a $27 million Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) contract with the ACT
Government in October 2004, and has recently been contracted to completely
architecturally redesign and re-implement the ACT Government’s entire IP Voice
network across some 15,000 ends, which will provide vastly improved resilience to
support high availability requirements.
• customers the first in Australia to experience true interactive movies-on-demand or
VOD thanks to a partnership with international on-demand video supplier, ANYTIME.
The TransACT Board
The TransACT Board comprises 10 Directors
Present Directors are:
Mr John Mackay AM, Chairman
Mr Ivan Slavich, Director and Chief Executive Officer
Mr Mark Sullivan
Mr John Troy
Mr Michael Delaney
Mr Warwick Syphers
Mr Yap Chee Keong
Mr David Yuile
Mr Greg Metro
Mr Andrew Gibson
TransACT’s vision for the future is:
To be the leading provider of telecommunications services.
• Continue to be a profitable business.
• Grow the business.
• Ultimately reduce our lost time injury frequency rate to 0.
During 2010-, TransACT plans to:
• Focus on its core business.
• Enhance its operational efficiency.
• Build on its already solid management team.
• Be a leader in Telecommunications Product Development
• Improve underperforming businesses.
• Undertake workforce planning.
• Focus predominately on the ACT.
During the next three to five years TransACT will be:
• Pursuing profitable growth.
• Evaluating growth in and outside the ACT and capital region within the core business.
• Focusing on environmental initiatives.
• Considering diversification within its core business area.
THE POSITION AND THE PERSON
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer this position is integrally responsible for maximising
the effectiveness of business information and information technology used within TransACT
The position’s primary focus will be establishing and in sourcing from ActewAGL business
systems and information technology in order to provide synergies and increase productivity
and profitability inline with TransACT’s corporate objectives and budget.
The General Manager IT will work closely with key stakeholders, including Divisional business
units within TransACT and NCL to ensure business systems and information technology
systems are fully utilised. TransACT will in source its business systems and information
technology and a migration plan will need to be developed to effect this seamless transition.
The CIO will need to assess opportunities to selectively source business systems through
both a mixture of internal resources and/or outsourced hosted or SaaS solutions
The General Manager IT will need to be an enthusiastic manager and leader with an
impressive record of achievement, preferably gained in a large operationally devolved
commercial organisation. He/she will be an astute risk manager with an innate sense of
business timing and strategy and political sensitivity which is complemented by outstanding
interpersonal skills, drive and energy.
The General Manager IT will be expected to have an impressive record of achievement in a
senior information technology management role with substantial exposure to information
technology platforms used by diverse full service Telecommunications carriers e.g. such as
BSS/ OSS (including Billing, CRM and Customer Care, Ticketing and Reporting applications)
MOS, Oracle ERP and RDBMS, UNIX including Linux and Office Productivity tools.
Knowledge of information technology applications development and information technology
operations of a company is an integral part of the position.
An extensive knowledge of all business activities to facilitate better understanding of urgency
between business systems and the internal customer will be highly regarded.
The General Manager IT should posses the following competencies:
• Strategic Leadership/Establishing Strategic Direction
• Building Business Partnerships
• Thought leadership on Technology that supports the business
• Decision Making
• Business Acumen
• Conceptual and Analytical Skills
• Policy Skills
• Communication and Interpersonal Skills (Oral and Written Communication,
Negotiation, Representation, Liaison, Leadership)
• Management Skills
• Possesses a high level of integrity.
• Demonstrates loyalty to TransACT at all times.
• Is flexible and able to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Proven management and leadership abilities.
• Proven business acumen and demonstrated strategic planning and decision-making
• Extensive experience in the management of Telecommunications business systems
such as BSS/ OSS (including Billing, CRM and Customer Care, Ticketing and
Reporting applications) and IT platforms such as MOS, Oracle E-Business Suite/
ERP, UNIX including Linux and Office Productivity tools.
• Proven experience of information technology applications development including agile
methodologies such as SCRUM and information technology operations (including
ITIL) of a company.
• Experience in performing applications development and maintenance, and also doing
PC Support, so that the work performed by other IT staff is understood.
• Bachelor of Computer Science, Applied Science, Electronic Engineering or Business
management degree would be highly regarded.
• Previous senior level experience in the telecommunications sector is essential.
A substantial six figure package is being offered for this position. The package will include an
attractive base salary (approx $170,000), a performance bonus (linked to specific key
performance indicators), superannuation, a motor vehicle allowance, home computer and
TERMS OF ENGAGEMENT
The successful candidate will be offered an initial fixed term contract for a period of 3 to 5
HOW TO APPLY
When applying for the position of General Manager IT please include a CV and covering letter
outlining the skills, knowledge and attributes that you believe you would bring to the position.
Please email your application in word format to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Director Human Resources
GPO Box 366
Canberra ACT 2601
Applications should be received by close of business Friday, 29 January 2010.
Enquiries relating to issues not covered in this document may be directed to Tania Hutchison
on 02 6270 7560.