the session will begin shortly...
Data Rehab Series:
Data Rehab Series:
●Explain the value of proper taxonomy
●Cover taxonomy best practices
●Explore ways to set up your Salesforce environment in
alignment with these practices
●Review real-world scenarios
Chief Product Officer, RingLead
RingLead creates easy-to-use
yet powerful applications that
will make your customer and
prospect database much,
Complete Data Quality Suite
We offer a full suite of data quality applications.
Sales Operations Manager
Simply Measured is a fast-
growing team of data geeks
dedicated to making the
world of analytics and
reporting a better, more
What is Taxonomy?
Standardized terminology for
classification & segmentation that is
data & rules driven.
Status Level Geo Type
Automate Customer “Status”
●Define your “Status” values & rules
●What you need:
○ Roll-up Summary Fields from Opportunity to Account.
○ Workflow Rule Field Updates on your Status field.
Status Business Rule System Rule
Has purchased our
product or service
Has >0 Closed Won
Opportunities on their Account
Is actively engaged in
the sales process
Has 0 Closed Won Opp AND >0
Open Opps on their Account
Target Everyone Else Has 0 Won AND 0 Open Opps
New vs. Add-on Opportunity
●Cross-object formula in a Validation Rule: Use
information at the Account-level to enforce data points
on the Opportunity.
○ e.g. “New Business” vs. “Add-on Business” based on
Status or Roll-up Summary on the Account.
Record Type Abuse
●Myth: Record Types are primarily for segmentation.
●Reasons to use Record Types:
○ One Profile needs to see multiple Page Layouts
Customer Record Type
Sales Rep Simple Layout
System Administrator Complex Layout
Partner Record Type
○ Different situations call for different picklist values
Validate/Normalize Country Values
●Problem: “USA” vs. “US” vs. “U.S.A.” vs. “United States”
●Solution #1 (Simple/Free):
○ Create Custom Object to hold list of Countries
○ Use VLOOKUP Validation Rule to ensure the value in
Country fields match your standard list.
●Solution #2 (Advanced/Paid): Real-time normalization
○ AppExchange App “AddressTools”
●Extend it! Bucket Countries into Regions
○ e.g. Map “Netherlands” into “Benelux” in “EMEA”
○ Easier Report Filters for Geo-Segmentation!
Consider your sources
○ What fields are available?
○ Taxonomy? Reliability? Consistency?
●Manual processes (data entry, list import, etc)
○ What’s the incentive?
○ What do they “know”?
Normalize Title & Department
●Problem: Reliable target marketing based on role & level
in an organization
○ “HR VP” vs. “Vice President of Human Resources”
●Solution: Normalize the Contact’s Title to simplify
○ Level: “VP Level” vs. “C-Level” vs. “Manager Level”
○ Department: “Human Resources” vs. “IT”
Helpful Salesforce Standard Features
●Cross-object Formula Fields
●Record Types for fine-grain control of picklists
●Roll-up Summary Fields
●Workflow Field Updates
Next Week: The Hack Series Continues!
Wednesday, October 16th at 1 pm ET / 10 am PT
Salesforce Admin Hack Series: Case Object
Join us for the fourth installment of the Salesforce
Admin Hack Series. Back for more Salesforce Hacks
after the success of the SFDC Hack Series: Account
Object, we’ll once again have the pleasure of hosting
Triple-Cerified Admin, Appirio Cloud Consultant and
Salesforce MVP Jarrod Kingston.