The Developmental Approach to eating behaviour and food preference
Exposure to food
• Research has found that more exposure to
new foods can...
• E.g. Birch and Marlin (1982)
• These findings suggest that
• Social learning is...
• Birch et al (1980):
• Lowe et al (1998):
• Parental attitudes to food...
• Associative learning/ Classical conditioning:
• Pairing food with a reward: Birch at al
• Using food as a reward: Birch et al (1980)
• Food and physiological consequences:
Garcia et al (1974)
Food and Control
Lepper et al (1982): The relationship between food and rewards
Evaluation of the Developmental Approach to eating behaviour (AO2)
Role of learning: Controlled research environment: Generalization of the findings:
Limited set of meanings associated with food: