Today you will be learning:
What ethnicity is
It is different to ‘race’
Why ethnicity is different from race
What is an ethnic group?
• Is a social group who share an identity based on
their cultural traditions, religion or language. For
example, Britain is home to a rich mix of ethnic
groups, Irish, Polish, Greek and Indian.
What is an ethnic
• Is a group of people who are from a
different ethnic group from the general
How has the government tried to reduce
inequalities based on ethnicity?
• Anti-discrimination legislation, e.g.
1976 Race Relations Act , which
outlawed discrimination and
• The Commission for Racial Inequality –
to tackle racism and discrimination
• Recognition of institutional racism,
such as, the Metropolitan police
• Equal opportunities policies, e.g. In
schools and workplaces
Task 1 and 2 Using the textbook complete the table.
Ethnic minority means Race means
Ways that ethnic minorities are
( i.e. through discrimination)
Ways in which they are not unequal
( include laws)
1. Study Item C. Describe how the sociological idea of ethnic groups
differs from the biological idea of race. (4 marks)
2. Explain what sociologists mean by ethnicity. (4 marks)
1. What are the problems with the terms
2. Make a list of the problems you think ethnic
minority groups suffer?
3. Make a mind map using page 293 of the
changes that have occurred to address based