Seven ways to get more from youragency relationship1. Building a lasting relationship2. Stimulate more effective ideas3. What to do if the relationship is in crisis4. More effective ways to review creative work5. What Venusians fear most6. What makes a great Martian7. Fun in marketing
1. Building a lasting relationship Possible format of the 2-Way Review1. Account Management 1. Marketing Managers2. Strategic Planning 2. Involvement with Business3. Creative Work 3. Creative Review Process4. Production Processes 4. Results Sharing5. Timings & Costings 5. Remuneration6. Overall Assessment 6. Overall Assessment7. Any other issues 7. The Future
1. To build a lasting relationship you need talk regularly in 2-way reviews
2. How to stimulate more effective ideas• Deliver an inspiring Communications Brief• Insist the Venusians visit your call centre, factory, shop etc• Give everyone working on the brief plenty of product• Challenge them to be brilliant• Set high expectations by saying things like ‘you’re really excited, and can’t wait to see the ideas’
2. How to stimulate more effective ideasA tale of 3 Martians
2. Want to stimulate more effective ideas show the it’s contagious
Has your agency:a. Missed a deadline recently?b. Been slow to respond to a brief?c. Been too expensive?d. Failed to be pro-active?e. All or any of the above.
3. What to do if the relationship is in crisis
4. More effective ways to review work• Start with the brief (it’s your road map)• Set clear expectations (agree the level of finish before hand)• Have your Venusians present to you• Avoid giving it the old ‘once round the office’• Be positive and open set a relaxed mood
4. More effective ways to review work• Ask yourself is there a ‘WOW Factor’• Don’t worry about a missed comma, worry about a missing idea• Always give initial feedback (be constructive)• If in doubt, give the work the overnight test• BE TRUE to your customer
4. The best way to review creative work be the customer
6. What makes a great Martian• Gives a clear brief and sticks to it• Champions the work, becomes the No.1 fan• Is the first to cheer at the ADMA Awards• Cultivates honesty• Enthusiastic• Not afraid of ideas
‘Ideas are your last legal meansof an unfair competitive advantage.’
6. What makes a great Martian• Tight deadline/budget. Okay, but be fair.• Pride (has the successful campaigns framed on the office wall)• Keeps Venusians involved in the business• Wants their agency to be successful (to profit, not profiteer)• Gives feedback the appropriate way• Remembers to say “Thank You”
6. To be recognised as a great Martian offer and great work will flourish
Whose having all the fun?•Melrose Place•Beverly Hills 90210•What Women Want•Models Inc•Bewitched•Crazy People•How to get ahead in advertising•Nothing In Common•Planes, trains and automobiles•Desperate Housewives
Getting more from your agency relationship1. To build a lasting relationship you need trust2. Want to stimulate more effective ideas, show passion3. If the relationship is in crisis seek counselling4. The best way to review creative work is be true5. Remove the fear of failure6. To be recognised as a great Martian offer respect7. Put the fun back into marketing and smile
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.