App Store Optimisation and mobile ads are not the only way to drive discovery and downloads for your mobile app. This presentation tells you how to drive PR for your app, use events and leverage
App Store Optimisation and mobile ads are not the only way to drive discovery and downloads for your mobile app. This presentation tells you how to drive PR for your app, use events and leverage existing marketing channels.
Getting the media’s
• Target the journalist, not the publication. Research
who writes about apps and who has written about
apps similar to yours
• Get introduced by someone that knows the journalist
• Twitter can be a good place to engage journalists
• If a journalist doesn’t reply, don’t send them another
3 emails in a week. It can be frustrating but the
journalist is probably busy and this is not a priority
• If you have a direct email for a writer or editor, also
copy in the publications tips line e.g.
email@example.com. If the journalist is busy then
someone may be able to pick it up
What do I send them?
• Description, key features and USPs
• Explain what your app does and why it is different form the
competition, but don’t oversell… “Revolutionary” is always bad
• YouTube video
• Great to see an app in motion, especially important for games or
kids’ apps where the graphics are the thing that appeals/turns off
• If your screenshots have layered text, also provide the raw
• Promo code (if paid app)
CHOOSE YOUR ASSETS WISELY
Are you a start up?
• Who are the founders and what is their background?
• What is your funding?
• How much traction do you have?
• Offer real numbers i.e. monthly/daily active users, not
downloads or registered users
• What are the key differentiators between you and
• Describe the genesis of your project?
• Describe the project in your own words?
HOW TO GET TECHCRUNCH’S ATTENTION
Consider where you already
connect with customers – social
media, in store, via email?
Gourmet Burger Kitchen
Loyalty app for iOS, Android, BlackBerry and Windows 7
2 UK App Store position within Food & Drinks, ahead of
Pizza Express, McDonalds and Jamie Oliver
25,000 App Downloads within 1 month
63,000,000 Media Impressions including coverage in the
Guardian’s Technology section
• “Table talkers”
• Printed posters
• Flyers with QR codes
QR codes? Really?
• There was captive moment of
15 minutes when the consumer
was waiting for their food to
• Result was 60% of downloads
within first 6 weeks coming
from QR codes
OFFLINE IS VERY POWERFUL
Driving discovery using PR, events and marketing
• Help journalists help you
• Craft your story– tie it in to a wider business narrative or industry change
• Be selective – focus on ones that will champion your story
• Provide the right assets – YouTube video, USP’s, raw screenshots, promo code
• Tell a story
• Create a conversation about the apps’ unique features – for instance with a launch event
• Create an experience of the app – through experiential marketing, or at industry events
• Leave breadcrumbs
• Sign post the app in existing channels – in store, website, email, social media
• Offline / in-store marketing can be the most powerful way to drive downloads!