[REQUIRED – Update with local home in the $400-$500 range, ideally listed by Redfin]Talking points:- Refund is based on your offer price not the sales price- You’ll get it as a closing credit or check after close, depending on your lender
[REQUIRED – Updated every time]
[REQUIRED – Updated every time]
[REQUIRED – Updated every time]Agents should use this slide to talk about what they’re seeing on the streetTell some stories!
[REQUIRED – Update each time with latest rate information]http://www.freddiemac.com/pmms/
[OPTIONAL – cut or skip this slide if not relevant for your market or class]
OPTIONALThis is different by market so we should have different slides for each.
We’ll stick around…
1. Slide 1 of 28
Redfin’s Home Buying Event
May 21, 2014 - Sacramento, CA
Host: Nikki Lawrence & Jed Setzer
2. Slide 2 of 28
Meet Redfin’s Roseville - Folsom Team
3. Slide 3 of 28
● To buy or not to buy
● Overview of purchase process
● Understanding the Market
● Multiple offers
● Choosing the right agent
● Making an Offer
● What to know about closing
● Thank you!
4. Slide 4 of 28
A Little Bit About Who We Are
Redfin is a real estate brokerage that has helped over 20,000
people buy or sell a home; 97% would refer us to a friend.
● Customers, not commissions
● Informed decisions
● Right home for the right price
5. Slide 5 of 28
Save $4,000 on Average
6. Slide 6 of 28
Understanding the Buying
7. Slide 7 of 28
Are You Ready to Buy?
● Do you have a family and need room to grow?
● Do you expect to stay put for 5 or more years?
● Have you saved up a down payment?
● Can you rent for less?
8. Slide 8 of 28
Overview of a Purchase
Real Estate Agents
Consider your needs
Draft Offer Docs
9. Slide 9 of 28
10. Slide 10 of 28
Current Market: Low Inventory
11. Slide 11 of 28
Current Market: Rising Prices
12. Slide 12 of 28
Sacramento Area Overview
13. Slide 13 of 28
● Homes are being listed at strategically low prices
► So properties are selling above list price
► Base your offer price on comps & trends – NOT on list
● Deadlines are being set to accept & review offers
► Sellers usually review offers after about 7-14 days on
► To give property exposure and create buzz amongst
● Some buyers are waiving their contingencies in order to
make their offers more attractive to the seller
What Other Trends are We Noticing?
14. Slide 14 of 28
What to do?
● Go see the home as soon as you can!
► First couple days on market
● Homes that are priced well, and move-in ready, may sell in
● Expect to be up against multiple offers (5-10+), some cash
● Get pre approval early on
15. Slide 15 of 28
16. Slide 16 of 28
Where Are Rates Headed?
Type of Loan May 15, 2014 May 8, 2014
30-Year Fixed 4.40% 4.21%
15-Year Fixed 3.29% 3.32%
5/1 ARM 3.01% 3.05%
1-Year ARM 2.43% 2.43%
17. Slide 17 of 28
Review Your Financial Situation
● Pull credit report, look for errors
● Establish comfort level for monthly payment
● Pay down credit balances
● Don’t open any new lines of credit
● Don’t buy any big ticket items
● Source of money
● Current employment status
18. Slide 18 of 28
Get Pre-Approved Early
A pre-approval letter is a letter from a bank or a lender estimating
how much they'll lend you
● Establishes what you can afford & makes offer process go faster
● Good for 90 days, depending on lender
● W-2, two pay-stubs, tax returns, bank statements
19. Slide 19 of 28
Choosing the Right Agent
20. Slide 20 of 28
Start Shopping for Lenders
Compile a list of 3-4 local lenders
Good sources include:
● Redfin's partner lenders
● Referrals from friends, family & co-workers
● Online review sites, such as Yelp
● Local chains and offices
*Know your lender
21. Slide 21 of 28
What to Ask Any Agent
● Is this your full-time job?
● Where were your last five deals?
● Who else will be working with me?
● When am I committed to working with you?
● Has a client ever filed a complaint?
● How are you paid?
● Can I see some reviews of your work?
22. Slide 22 of 28
Redfin Agent Reviews
23. Slide 23 of 28
Redfin’s Partner Program
Partner agents are employed by other brokerages, and have
teamed up with us to provide Redfin-certified service
We’ll refer you to a Partner Agent when:
► A home is below Redfin’s minimum price
► A home is outside of our service area
► If it’s in your financial advantage to work with a partner
► We’re experiencing unusually high customer demand
We survey all partner agent clients
► All surveys are published on their Redfin page
► 97% of customers would recommend Redfin Partners
24. Slide 24 of 28
Making an Offer
25. Slide 25 of 28
Crafting Your Offer
● Evaluate – your agent will provide you with information
about market conditions and recent sales in the area
● Consider the situation – the seller’s preferences, days on
the market, and other interest will influence the process.
● Decide on price & strategy with your agent
● Common contingencies & terms:
► Earnest Money
► Title Review
26. Slide 26 of 28
Tips for Winning a Bidding War
1. Just win, baby! Simply have the best offer.
► Cash is King
► Escalate your price?
► Tighten your timelines
► Remove some contingencies?
2. Get pre-approved with a local lender
3. What’s important to the seller?
4. Write a letter & appeal to the seller
27. Slide 27 of 28
We recommend that you have a home inspection
● Cost runs $350 to $1200 depending upon the home’s size
● Your agent will accompany you
● Your time to evaluate the property
Let’s talk about:
● What an inspection contingency covers and doesn’t cover
● Types of inspections
28. Slide 28 of 28
What are Contingencies?
This means the seller has accepted an offer on the property,
but success may still depend on passing a home inspection or
● Appraisal – Performed in conjunction with financing
29. Slide 29 of 28
● Prepares the final documents, including the HUD-1
● Conducts the closing
● Examines and clears the title to the property
● Records the deed, mortgage and any other recordable
● Issues title insurance to the lender and the buyer
30. Slide 30 of 28
Signing and Closing
A few days before closing you will sign your closing documents
and have a walk through.
On closing day, you’ll probably get your keys at about 5pm.
31. Slide 31 of 28
32. Slide 32 of 28
The Closing Process
Find dream home
Consult with agent, write offer
Submit offer to listing agent
Success! Mutual Acceptance
Earnest money [Within 3 days]
Inspection contingency [10-17 days]
Loan & Appraisal Contingency [17 days]
Title review [5 days]
Waiting for loan approval
Escrow signing appointment
Get keys and take possession!
Overview of a
Receive Redfin refund
Complete Redfin survey
33. Slide 33 of 28
So What Now?
● Make sure it’s the right time for you
● Start browsing online
● Check out our Home Buying Guide
● Find the right agent
● Look for a local lender and get pre-approved
● Start seeing homes in person
● Make an offer & close the deal
34. Slide 34 of 28
35. Slide 35 of 28
36. Slide 36 of 28
Thanks for Coming!
Questions? Get in touch:
Nikki Lawrence email@example.com
Jed Setzer firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out our upcoming classes: