[REQUIRED – please add the main presenter’s photos]
[REQUIRED – to be updated by the presenter to suit their strong points]
[REQUIRED – Updated every time]
[REQUIRED – Updated every time]
[REQUIRED – Updated every time]Agents should use this slide to talk about what they’re seeing on the streetTell some stories!
[REQUIRED – Update each time with latest rate information]http://www.freddiemac.com/pmms/
[REQUIRED – Should be updated once a month]The info on this slide is great. Lets add a visual so its more interesting after all the data slides.
[OPTIONAL – cut or skip this slide if not relevant for your market or class]
[REQUIRED]Add Lender’s name if he/she’s presenting
[REQUIRED – Update with local lender]
5 minute break timer.To begin the timer, when in presentation view on the slide, click advance once and you will see the red appear from left to right. When the entire bar is red your break is up!
OPTIONAL: Would need to adjust by market. Not all markets use the term Escrow in this way.
The visual of the HUD would be great and could eliminate some of the verbiage here. REQUIREDA HUD is divided into two parts:Lender charges Includes origination fee, appraisal fee, credit report, insurance and tax escrowsTitle chargesIncludes settlement fee, and owner’s and lender’s title insuranceGovernment chargesIncludes recording fees, recordation taxes and property taxes
OPTIONALThis is different by market so we should have different slides for each.
Notes from Matt:- Update this slide so it is easier to read
We’ll stick around…
Redfin's Free Home Buying Class - Portland, OR
Redfin Home Buying Class
Presented by: Jessica Maxwell
Redfin PDX-West Team
December 4, Beaverton
Jessica Maxwell – Portland’s West
Side, Lake Oswego, West Linn
● Agent for 5 years
● Closed 81 homes
● Specialize in: First Time
Buyers, Condos, town
Family, REO’s, Short Sales.
Overview of the process
Are you ready to buy?
Understanding the market
Never miss a home
Choosing an agent
Short sales & foreclosures
Making an offer
Acceptance to closing
A Little Bit About Redfin
Redfin is a real estate brokerage on a mission to make buying
and selling a home better for you.
● Accountability: we’re on your side, giving you honest
● Technology: sellers get more traffic; buyers tour homes first
● Value: a full-service brokerage that saves you thousands
Overview of a Buying a Home
Are You Ready to Buy?
Do you have a family and need room to grow?
Do you expect to stay put for 5 or more years?
Have you saved up for a down payment? 3.5% to 20+%
Have you saved up for closing costs? Typically 2%
Can you rent for less?
Where Are Rates Headed?
Type of Loan
November 27, 2013
November 21, 2013
Portland Market Trends – Oct.
● Avg. price: $262,500
● Prices up 11.7% YoY, down 2.1% MoM
● # homes sold down 5.5% YoY and 3.1% MoM
● # homes for sale down 10.8% YoY and 16.5% MoM
● 28.6% of homes went pending in 2 weeks vs. 24.6% in Oct.
What to Ask Any Agent
Is this your full-time job?
Where were your last five deals?
Who else will be working with me?
When am I committed to working with you?
Has a client ever filed a compliant?
How are you paid?
Can I see some reviews of your work?
Redfin Partner Program
Partner agents are employed by other brokerages, and have
teamed up with us to provide Redfin-certified service
We’ll refer you to a Partner Agent when:
► A home is below Redfin’s minimum price
► A home is outside of our service area
► We’re experiencing unusually high customer demand
We survey all partner agent clients
► All surveys are published on their Redfin page
► 97% of customers would recommend Redfin Partners
Making the Most of Your Tour
Bring a camera, notebook & tape measure
See how much sunlight the place gets
Check the bathrooms for rot & mold
Look for wavy or discolored wood siding
Make sure water spouts drain away from
Take stock of storage space
Turn off any music playing in house
Check for hardwood floors
Peek into the attic
Bring a marble or two
When sharing a wall, make sure it’s thick
Ignore the appliances and carpets
Check the closets
Get the disclosure packet
Compare the property’s tax records to the
How Touring with Redfin Works
● Led by agent or associate
● Up to six homes per tour in
two hour blocks
● Go on as many tours
as you need
● No obligation, no
Slide 24 of 55
Review Your Financial Situation
● Pull credit report, look for errors
● Establish comfort level for monthly payment
● Figure out how much monthly income goes towards debt:
28 – 33% healthy
● Pay down credit balances to 1/3rd
● Don’t open any new lines of credit
● Don’t buy any big ticket items
● Source of money
● Current employment status
Get Pre-Approved Early
A pre-approval letter is a letter from a bank or a lender estimating
how much they'll lend you
● Establishes what you can afford & makes offer process go faster
● Redfin asks that you get pre-approved before your third tour
● Good for 90 days, depending on lender
● W-2, two pay-stubs, tax returns, bank statements
Pulling Credit: Is It Harmful?
● Your credit report must be reviewed by a lender before you
can obtain a pre-approval
● If you know your score, a lender should be able to give you
ballpark pricing for their loan products
● Better to know sooner rather than later about credit
● Maintaining a pre-approval
has a negligible impact on
your credit score
Start Shopping for Lenders
Compile a list of 3-4 local lenders
Good sources include:
● Redfin's partner lenders
● Referrals from friends, family & co-workers
● Online review sites, such as Yelp
● Local chains and offices
*Know your lender
Local Recommended Lenders
In no way does
lenders – we just
think they’re great
Portland's West Side, Lake Oswego, West Linn
Let’s Get Started!
What is a Short Sale?
The owner owes more on the mortgage than the home is
● Usually pre-foreclosure, but not always
● Listed for less than what’s owed to the bank
● Requires 1 - 2 banks’ approval (usually 2)
● May have other liens (taxes, utilities, HOA)
We Can Help With a Short Sale!
● See short sales with a Redfin Agent
● If you want to buy, work with a Redfin Agent
What is a Bank-Owned Property?
● A foreclosed home owned by a bank or lender
● Standard sale but:
► Verbal negotiations
► Long response times
► Repairs unlikely
► Legal addenda may require an attorney
► Limited or no disclosures
► Banks demand use of their own contracts
► Bank can back out any time until they’ve signed
Crafting Your Offer
● Evaluate – your agent will provide you with information
about market conditions and recent sales in the area
● Consider the situation – the seller’s preferences, days on
the market, and other interest will influence the process.
● Decide on price & strategy with your agent
● Common contingencies & terms:
► Earnest Money
► Title Review
Tips for Winning a Bidding War
1. Just win, baby! Simply have the best offer.
► Cash is King
► Escalate your price?
► Tighten your timelines
► Remove some contingencies?
2. Get pre-approved with a local lender
3. What’s important to the seller?
4. Write a letter & appeal to the seller
Steps After Mutual Acceptance
Earnest money deposit – usually 1-3%+
Inspection – approximately $500
Other inspections – sewer scope, septic, etc.
Loan application – 5 days or less
Receive your keys!
We recommend that you have a home inspection
● Cost runs $350 to $1200 depending upon the home’s size
● Your agent will accompany you
● Your time to evaluate the property
Let’s talk about:
● What an inspection contingency covers and doesn’t cover
● Types of inspections
What are Contingencies?
This means the seller has accepted an offer on the
property, but success may still depend on passing a
home inspection or getting financing.
● Appraisal – Performed in conjunction with financing
What is Escrow?
Escrow is a third party intermediary that represents neither the
buyer nor the seller.
What do they do?
• Hold the earnest money
• Arrange for payoff of any liens (seller’s
mortgage, utilities, etc.)
• Coordinate the signing appointments for all parties
• Receive and disburse funds for closing
• Arrange to notify county offices to change ownership
Prepares the final documents, including the HUD-1
Conducts the closing
Examines and clears the title to the property
Records the deed, mortgage and any other recordable
● Issues title insurance to the lender and the buyer
Better Service, Lower Fees
● We’re on your side
► Agents paid on your satisfaction
● Double your exposure
► Premium placement on Redfin
► Zillow, Trulia, Craigslist and Realtor
● 1.5% listing fee
► Professional photos
► Beautiful flyers
So What Now?
Make sure it’s the right time for you
Start browsing online
Check out our Home Buying Guide
Find the right agent
Look for a local lender and get pre-approved
Start seeing homes in person
Make an offer & close the deal
Thanks for Coming!
Questions? Get in touch:
Check out our upcoming classes: