1. Redfin Home Selling Class
Everything you need to know in today’s market.
July 23rd, 2014 – Sacramento, CA
Presented by: Chris Medina
● Intro to Redfin
● Understanding the Market
● The Selling Process
● Pricing Strategies
● Marketing your home
● Repairs & updates
● Staging & perfect pictures
3. A Little Bit About Who We Are
● Redfin is a real estate brokerage that has helped over
20,000 people buy or sell a home; 97% would refer us to a
● New RE Model: Customers, not commissions
● Buy-side: More info available + Transparency = Informed
decisions = The right home for the right price
● Sell-side: We do MORE (Info, Photos, Classes, Sparking
Debut, FT Coordinator, Proprietary Software for LESS ($$)
4. Understanding the
5. Folsom Inventory
6. Folsom Home Prices
7. Folsom Area Overview
8. We’ve Recently Closed
82 Deals Nearby
• 4,676 people are looking at
homes in Sacramento on Redfin
• 343 people have toured homes
with Redfin Agents in the area in
the past 6 months
9. The Selling Process
10. The Selling Process
● Decide on selling
● Meet with an Agent
● Stage and prepare your Home (Open Book referrals)
● Photograph your home
● Take it live!
● Get an offer & expert help in negotiating = Signed Contract
● Work as a Team through the Inspection & Appraisal process
● Signing / Funding / $$$
11. Pricing: An Art & Science
● Consider the current economic factors
►Employment & other Economic factors
►Comparable homes in your area
 “Active”: Your direct competition
 “Pendings”: How many DOM can indicate final price
 “Solds”: Watch the trends of list VS sold prices
12. Pricing Strategies
What if we over price?
● Fewer Buyers see your house
● More days on market can elicit suspicion
● Need price - reduction plan
● Hope: One Buyer pays the higher price
● Risk: Appraisal concerns
What if we under price?
● Elicit Market Interest
● More buyers see your house = more potential offers
● Sold more quickly
● Hope: More than 1 Buyer
● Risk: Timing works against you & only 1 Buyer makes an offer
13. Comparative Market Analysis
● What is a CMA?
► Art and Science: Left brain VS Right brain
► What is my home really “worth”?
● CMA VS Appraisal?
► What they each mean to you
● How could 3 different Agents suggest 3 different prices?
► Underlying Strategy
14. What is the Best Day to List?
● Homes listed on Sunday get marginally more online views.
● Homes listed on Friday are toured 19% more.
● Homes listed on Friday or Thursday sell for slightly closer
to original list price.
● Homes listed on Friday are 12% more likely to sell in 90
days or less.
15. How to Get Your Home
Ready to Sell
16. Front Door
● The first impression of the house
● Nice hardware on door goes a long way
● Clean/updated hardware - spend $100 on updated locks
● Don’t put a lot on it
● A place for people to sit
● 1 or 2 great decorative pieces
● Grill – make sure it’s clean!
● Porch lights
►Make sure they work
►Buy new ones – Great touch for under $50
● Things to consider:
► How much light the home gets
► What color the neighbor’s home is painted
► Specific to style (modern vs. craftsman)
● Contrasting colors - Light trim/solid color
● Painting door an appealing color
19. Driveways and Pads
● Kill weeds
● Cut branches and bushes back
● Shovel driveway in winter
● Hide garbage cans
● Power wash driveway and walkway
20. The Backyard
● Power wash patios/deck
►Buyers will sit
►Borrow from a friend
● Trim back large bushes – makes yard appear bigger
►Make sure gates work
21. Repairs and Updates
Usually the 1st and last thing a potential buyer sees
when looking at any home/condo.
Things to focus on:
● Are the walls & baseboards damaged,
scuffed or dinged up?
► A quick coat of paint can make a
● Is the light fixture in need of being
► Adequate light is important; makes
the entryway feel more open and
● Does the area have proper storage
(are things piled up and stuffed in
► Not necessarily on the cheaper
end of updates, but a built-in
storage area can be a big plus.
As you have probably heard, kitchens & bathrooms sell homes!
24. Kitchen Floors: Tile
● Tile = good shape, Grout = not!
● A cheap do-it-yourself fix is to buy some
industrial cleaner and a good firm bristle
scrubbing brush and go to town on the
● Another option would be to hire a
company like The Grout Dr. They come
out and rout out the old grout and re-
grout the whole area with new material.
This is also a much cheaper option than
ripping up the old tile and having to pay a
contractor to retile the entire kitchen.
25. Kitchen Floors: Hardwood
● Hardwood: If you have hardwood
floors you already know they can
show wear and tear easily.
● A quick & easy do-it-yourself fix to
minor scratches and moderate signs
of wear, is to use a hardwood floor
cleaner/polisher. It will remove light
signs of wear immediately.
● For heavy scratches and damage, a
good option aside from replacing the
flooring would be to hire a company
to refinish the floors. They will come
in and sand down the floors and
apply a coat of polyurethane. Your
floors will usually look like new!
26. Kitchen Counters and Cabinets
► A tile backsplash can make for
a nice upgrade from just wall
paint between your
countertops and cabinets
► Often are in good shape but
show normal signs of wear
from daily use.
► Painting cabinets =
inexpensive alternative to
This is the second place that people are going to really focus on.
28. Baths: Floor
► Basically the same idea as the kitchen: either clean or re-grout.
► New tile installation can also make a big impact in any bathroom.
● Shower enclosures can show signs of wear and water
damage to the grout and caulking. An effective &
inexpensive fix is to strip and re-caulk any material that
shows signs of mold or discoloration.
● Retiling a shower enclosure is also a nice facelift but is
going to be more costly than touching up the tile.
● Vanity/Toilet: If they are in poor shape, replacing them is
not a very expensive option and can make a big difference
from run down fixtures.
● Swapping out the faucet/shower control and shower head
can also make a worn down bathroom look new if the rest of
the items are in good shape.
30. Marketing Your Home
31. Listing with Redfin
● More People See your Home
► Redfin.com is the #1 used RE search site in the US
►Your listing gets Premiere placement on Redfin.com
►Mobile app target “On-the-Go” Buyers
►Professional HD Photography
►Stunning “Get Noticed” Flyers
● You’ll Know It All at Every Step
►You’ll have a whole Team on your side
► Link to show how many people have viewed your home
►Advise you at every step in the process
32. Benefits of a MLS Powered Site
● Redfin.com has 20+% more agent-listed properties than two
national portals, Zillow and Trulia
● We display new listings 7 to 9 days faster, and record sales
Data Quality Redfin Trulia Zillow
% of Agents – Listed Homes Available 100% 81% 79%
Median Days to Publish a New Listing 0 9 7
% of Published Listings No Longer for Sale 0.1% 37% 36%
33. Marketing Blitz
Twice as many people see your home on Redfin.com
34. Thanks for Coming!
Questions? Get in touch:
Chris Medina firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Number: (916)-802-8872
Check out our upcoming classes: