Cloud Computing and Data Security
Ram Bahadur Gharti
• Storing and accessing data and programs over
• Practice of using remote servers on the internet to
manage, store and process data instead of using a
Cloud computing is a general term that
is better divided into three categories:
• Infrastructure-as-a-Service providing servers and
storage on demand with the consumer paying
• Platform-as-a-Service allows for the construction
of applications within a provider’s framework,
like Google’s App Engine.
• Software-as-a-Service enables customers to use
an application on demand via a browser. Dropbox
Why Cloud Computing?
• can allow a user to access applications and data from any
computer at any time
• reduces the need for companies to purchase top-of-the-line
servers and hardware or hire people to run them since it is
all maintained by a third party
• Software licenses do not have to be purchased for every
user as the cloud stores and runs the software remotely.
• Data can also be stored with cloud computing so
companies do not have to house servers and databases
• By centralizing memory, bandwidth, storage & processing in
an off-site environment for a fee, cloud computing can
significantly reduce costs
• Goggle Docs, YouTube, Online file storage,facebook,gmail
etc are the examples of cloud computing where you can
access your stored data from any computer with internet
access and they are widely used by many people worldwide
Data Security Questions
As data is save in cloud not in user hard drive there are
• Who is Managing My Data?
• Is the Data Secured?
• Where is the Data Actually Located?
• If we choose to put sensitive or protected data in the
cloud, how well does the cloud provider’s security
policies and procedures align with our organizations?
• Who will have access to my data?
• What will happen to my data if I decide to close my
Data Security in Cloud Computing
There are 3 types of different layers of data security in cloud
1. Physical layer security
it serve as an data center, which includes biometric
scanning, finger prints and voice recognition.
For eg. Building itself is a physical data security. It is design to
stand against hurricane, rain, earthquake etc.
2. Logical layer security
integrated design of networks.
3. Methodological layer security
This includes passwords, controlled environment and