1. Annual Research Symposium 2011 Faculty of Graduate Studies - University of kelaniyaTitle Comparative Study on availability of Digital Library in University and Special Libraries in Sri LankaAuthor/s R.M.Nadeeka Rathnabahu (Assistant Librarian) , Nimal Hettiarachchi (Senior Assistant Librarian)E-Mail Addresses email@example.com/ firstname.lastname@example.orgPresenter R.M.Nadeeka RathnabahuPresented Date 04-11-2011Venue IM Room 101- University of kelaniya, Sri LankaChair Prof.Gamini Daela Bandara
2. What Digital Library is?A digital library is a library in which collections arestored in digital formats (as opposed toprint, microform, or other media) and accessible bycomputers. The digital content may be stored locally, oraccessed remotely via computer networks. A digitallibrary is a type of information retrieval system.Greenstein, Daniel I., Thorin, Suzanne Elizabeth. The Digital Library: A Biography. Digital LibraryFederation (2002) ISBN 1933645180. Accessed June 25, 2007.
3. Objectives1). Availability of digital library in university and special libraries in Sri Lanka2). Discover the difficulties encountered in the initiate phase3). Find out the suggestion to surmount those difficulties
4. Population & Sample University Libraries 36 Population Special libraries 76 Sample University Libraries 29 (80%) Special libraries 38 (50%)Method of Data Collection Questionnaire
5. Findings Availability of Digital Libraries Availability Percentage (%) UL* SL^ Initiating 9.09% 17.85 already planning 54.54 14.28did not have any proper plan 36 67.85 * UL=University Library ^SL = Special Library
6. Cont. Software use for Digital Libraries Usage (%)Software Name UL SL - GENISIS 50 GREENSTONE 50 40 WINISIS - 20 ACROBAT - 20 OMINIPAGE - 20
7. • 50% of the university libraries and 20% of the special libraries have online access facility.• majority of special libraries had only off-line access facility to their digital collections.
8. Several critical problems• lack of knowledge about creating digital library• lack of sufficient infrastructure facilities• lack of financial support• lack of uninterrupted power supply• the limited number of computers available for clientele
9. To overcome this undesirable situation• To organize and conduct proper workshops on training personnel for creation and effective managing of digital libraries• It is also of paramount important to establish extended in-house networking and internet facilities in the libraries.
10. References• Greenstein, Daniel I., Thorin, Suzanne Elizabeth. The Digital Library: A Biography. Digital Library Federation (2002) ISBN 1933645180. Accessed June 25, 2007.• Digital library picture, Available at: http://depositphotos.com/5936233/stock-photo-Tablet-PC- Computer-and-book---Digital-Library-Concept.html