Hyperion Financial Management
System Messages: Revealed!
Consolidation Practice Director
Ranzal & Associates
The Black Art of Reading HFM Event Logs
• Where does HFM store its event information?
• Maintaining the logs
• How can I view this?
• OK, what does it actually tell me?
• And what can I do about it?
Understanding HFM Logs
• Messages are informational –start/stop consol, log in, log out etc.
• Some messages are purposely out of time order (consol starts get
printed at completion of consol
• Often due to subcube size issues
• HFM Subcube Troubleshooting Guide / Memory Management in
• Access rights
• Syntax Issues
Where are the HFM events stored?
• Text file containing XML, named HsvEventLog.log
– On each server that has the HFM client, including app servers and
• Pre-HFM 220.127.116.11 or 9.3.0
– ..Hyperion SolutionsHyperion Financial ManagementServer Working Folder
• Starting with 9.3.1 Oracle moved all product logs to a
common parent folder
• Starting with 11.1.2 moved again
Reading the HsvEventLog.log
Load file from disk
etc) by clicking
on Diskette Icon
Focus on Text of
Launch the Utility
• Details panel
• Web suppresses
shown in utility
• Each server’s registry settings are written during
an application start-up.
• Most but not all registry entries are written
• We’ll cover the actual entries in another
• New in 18.104.22.168 utility, shows version info from the
Walk through the settings
Chart FreeLRU Activity
• New graph feature in 22.214.171.124 utility
Find all FreeLRU
• System 9 added a “Filter” option
be paresed in
HSVEventlog vs HFM_ErrorLog
• Can be opened only if you have access to a UDL file –
typically only on the HFM application server(s)
• You can extract the database entries to a text
file, which is preferable to the event logs
• Can also truncate the entries using this
• And split large files (anything > 30 MB is too