1. Introduction to Computers M. Shakeel Anjum [firstname.lastname@example.org] Department of Business Management Sciences University of Agriculture, Faisalabad
Introduction to the Course
- Acquiring the basic knowledge of Computer system, Hardware Components and Software Packages
- Using Windows Operating system
- Using Internet in Daily Life
- Perform basic Windows administration
- Basic knowledge of Computer Networks
Evolution of Computing Devices
- 1833, Design of Analytical Engine
- 1939, ABC (First Electronic Computer)
- 1943, Harward-Mark-1 (Based upon the design of Analytical Engine)
- 1946, ENIAC (For US Military, consisting of 19000 Vacuum Tubes, Dimensions 9’x200’)
- 1951, UNIVAC (First Commercial Computer)
- 1971, Intel-4004 (First Microprocessor as powerful as ENIAC, Computes 2000 instructions/second)
- 1981, IBM-PC shipped with MS-DOS
- 1984, Apple-MAC shipped with GUI
What is a Computer?
- [Norton] An Electronic Device that processes Data and converts it into Information that is useful for People
Parts of Computer System
- Hardware – Physical parts of the computer
- Software – Instructions to the computer
- Data – Raw facts the computer can manipulate
- People – also known as users
Parts of Computer System
- Physical components of the computer
- Any part of the computer you can touch
Computer Hardware Output Storage Input Processor Input and Output Memory
- Electronic Instructions to the computer. Also known as a ‘program’.
- These Instructions are written in some language which computer can understand. E.g.
Types of Computer Software
- Both works together to produce useful output.
- MS DOS, Windows 9x, NT, Vista, 7
Microsoft Windows Linux Apple Mac
- MAC OS-X, Android, Symbian
Productivity Software Packages
Types of Computers
Supercomputers Columbia Sequioa
Mainframe Computers IBM VAX II IBM 704
Minicomputers IBM MicroVax Shuttle XPC
Two Computer Giants Steve Jobs Bill Gates
Who Uses Computers?
Computer Setup in Today’s Business Manager CEO Salesman Salesman Salesman Salesman Salesman Mainframe Internet
Computer Usage at Stock Exchange
A Militant’s Computer
A Robodoc at Cardiographic Surgery
CAD Applications for Architects
Computers in Software Development
- List the four parts of a computer system.
- Identify four kinds of computer hardware.
- List the two major categories of software and exemplify each
- List some of the productivity software packages
- List the four most common types of computers available today
- List some of the professions in which computers are routinely used and their effect on day-to-day work