2. What is Advertising ?Advertising facilitates large-scale marketing. It is a medium ofmass communication. Manufacturers supply information aboutnew products through advertising.The fact that companies around the World spend crores ofrupees or millions of dollars on advertising through TV, Radio andthe Internet, and Print Ad on Newspapers and in Magazinesthe Internet, and Print Ad on Newspapers and in Magazinesindicate its benefits.
3. Video: Nestle Nesvita
4. What is Advertising ?Advertising is within the scope of promotion, which is oneelement in the marketing mix. It is getting popularity in thepresent highly competitive and consumer-oriented marketing.All products including old and new, consumer and durable (FMCG/FMCD/FMCS), cheap or costly need extensive advertising forpromotional measures and consumer support.promotional measures and consumer support.Latest communication techniques are now used for making itmore attractive, persuasive and agreeable.The basic purpose of advertising is to give information, (AIDA) todraw attention, to create awareness and finally to influence thebuying behavior of consumers.
5. Video: Apple iPhone 5
6. What is Advertising ?Advertising is certainly needed in marketing but is equallyimportant and essential in social, cultural and political aspects ofour life.The term ‘Advertising’ originates from the Latin word ‘Advertere’which means “to turn the mind towards.”The dictionary meaning of the term advertising is “to give publicThe dictionary meaning of the term advertising is “to give publicnotice or to announce publicity.”This suggests that advertising acts as a marketing vehicle and isuseful for drawing the attention of people (prospects) towards aspecific product / service / manufacturer.
7. Definitions…Advertising is defined differently by various authorities and theinstitutions dealing with the subject of advertising…The American Marketing Association (AMA) defines advertisingas,“Any paid form of non-personal presentation and promotion ofideas, goods or services by an identified sponsor.”
8. Definitions…This definition suggests the following features…>> Advertisement is a paid form of communication. Advertiserexercises a control over it.>> It is non-personal selling. It is a medium of masscommunication for large-scale selling.>> It acts as an important marketing tool for presentation andpromotion of ideas, goods and services.>> It needs the sponsor of the message known. Advertising will bemeaningless if the advertiser is not clearly identified.
9. Features of Advertising…The nine important features of advertising are as follows:1. It Provides information : The basic purpose of advertising is toprovide information about products or services to prospectivebuyers.The details of products such as features, uses, prices, benefits,manufacturers name, and instructions to be followed while usingthe product are given in the advertisements. The advertisingmessage (Copy) and brand name are also given.The information provided educates and guide to consumers andfacilitates to correct selection of goods among competitors.
10. Features of Advertising…2. Paid communication : The advertiser/firm has to pay to themedia for giving publicity to his advertising message. While it paysfor the advertisement the firm also decides the size/duration,slogan, timing etc. given in the advertisement. So, advertising is aform of paid communication.3. Non-personal presentation : Advertising is non-personal in3. Non-personal presentation : Advertising is non-personal incharacter as against salesmanship, which is personal (face to facecommunication) in character.In advertising, the message is given to all and not to one specificindividual. This rule is applicable to all advertising media,including press. However, in advertising target consumers ortarget market can be selected for making an advertising appeal.
11. Features of Advertising…4. Publicity : Advertising gives publicity to goods, services andideas. It is for giving information to consumers. This information isalways related to the features and benefits of goods and servicesof different types.Advertising gives new ideas to consumers or to educate, as itscontents are meaningful. The aim is to make the ideas popularcontents are meaningful. The aim is to make the ideas popularand thereby to promote sales.For example, advertising on family planning, family welfare, andlife insurance is useful for placing new ideas before the masses.
12. Video: Ananya – Birth_Spacing-Ek Teen Do
13. Features of Advertising…5. For persuasion : Advertising aims at persuasion of potentialcustomers. It attracts attention towards a product, creates adesire to have it, and finally induces consumers to visit the marketand purchase the same.Advertising has a psychological impact on consumers. It influencesthe buying decisions of consumers.6. Target oriented : It is possible to make intensive advertising byselecting a specific-market or specific segment of consumers (likeChildren, Adult, Housewives, etc.) for advertising. This selection ofa specific market is called target market. Advertising becomeseffective and result-oriented when it is target oriented. Thebudget in advertising can be minimized through such a targetoriented advertising.
14. Online Ad for AASHIRVAAD Atta
15. Features of Advertising…7. Art, science and profession : It is now universally accepted thatadvertising is an art, science and a profession.It is an art as it needs creativity for raising its effectiveness.Advertising is a science as it has its principles and rules.Advertising is now treated as a profession with its professionalbodies and code of conduct for members. Advertising agenciesand space brokers function as professionals in the field ofadvertising.
16. Features of Advertising…8. Element of marketing mix : Advertising is an importantelement of a marketing mix as it supports the sales promotionefforts of the manufacturer and makes positive contribution insales promotion provided other elements in the marketing-mixare reasonably favorable.This is natural as advertising alone is not adequate for promotingThis is natural as advertising alone is not adequate for promotingsales. Many companies now spend huge amount of money onadvertising and public relations.
17. Print Ad for a Sales promotion offer
18. Features of Advertising…9. Creativity : Advertising is a method of presenting a product inan artistic, attractive and agreeable manner. This is possiblethrough the element of creativity, which is the essence ofadvertising.Creativity can be introduced by creative-people (professionals) inthe field of advertising. They introduce new techniques forthe field of advertising. They introduce new techniques forintroducing creativity. Without creativity, advertising will be like abody without a soul. It is therefore known as the essence ofadvertising.