1. CELLS Slides 2-6 are by Stephen Taylor 10-14 by Karyn Ferguson
3. Most Cells contain hereditaryinformation that is passed onfrom cell to cell duringreproduction All cells are basically the same in chemical structure and activities
4. Cell Diversity: Not all cells are alike• Size and shape differ…this is related to the function of cells• Internal Organization…cells can be specialized to perform different jobs Ex: Pancreas cells (pictured • Organelles – internal components that above) make insulin, while perform different functions white blood cells (below) digest unwanted microbes.
5. Cell TypesAll living things are classified into groupsbased on their cell type
6. Prokaryotic Cells• Bacteria – LACK a NUCLEUS and membrane bound organelles – Reproduce asexually – Contain genetic material
7. PLANT CELL Eukaryotic Cells • “Eu” – True cells • CONTAIN a NUCLEUS and membrane bound organelles • Reproduces asexually or sexually • Contains genetic material • Ex. plant, animal, fungi, algae ANIMAL CELL
8. Virus• Viruses lack cellular structures and are non-living – Contain: a. CAPSID – protein coat b. Can only contain DNA or RNA – Reproduce in a host cell – Ex. HPV, HIV, H1N1, bacteriophage