6. Ex. Fossil fuels: coal, oil, natural gas Energy rich hydrocarbons that are primary source of energy on Earth
II. Organic MacromoleculesStructure of Macromolecules in Living Things1. Monomer Units: A molecule that is a single subunit or “building block” that will bond with other molecules to form larger structures.
1. Monomer Units: A molecule that is a single subunit or “building block” that will bond with other molecules to form larger structures.Ex: = ring = simple structure sugar
2. Polymers: Molecules built from 2 or more monomer units Can be formed by identical or similar monomer units
3. MACROMOLECULES:Very large carbonstructures madeup of repeatingpolymers100’s of carbon moleculeslinked together. Ex: Carbs,Lipids, Proteins, NucleicAcids
III. The Building and Breaking Apart ofMacromolecules Organic macromolecules may differ, but they are ALL assembled and disassembled in the same way
1. Dehydration reactions: LINKS monomer units TOGETHER to make larger molecules LOSS or PRODUCTION of a WATER molecule AS A RESULTDrawthis