• Global citizen media platform founded in
2006. Founded by lifelong New Yorker
• Mission: democratize the media.
• Empowers anyone to publish text articles,
videos and photo news reports.
• Team of volunteer Wikipedia-style editors
• Over 4,000 contributors around the world
earn revenue shares based on traffic.
• Breaking scoops on major news, from Beijing
Olympics to Mumbai terror attacks.
• Named one of BusinessWeek’s Most
Promising Social Enterprises.
Step 1: Get Inspired
• Embrace the chaos.
• Follow your heart.
• Find your Big Idea.
• Be thankful you don’t live in a bubble like Silicon
• Realize you’re surrounded by the best and
brightest across all industries.
• Go for an unconventional marriage. (Like web
technology + foreign affairs.)
Step 3: Get Started
New Work City
Bond Street Group
Twitter & Facebook
NYU & Columbia (Interns!)
Free usability testing at Starbucks?
Step 3: Get Out There
• Be a ‘Brand Ambassador’ for your startup.
• NYC is more media-centric than Silicon Valley. Embrace it.
• Present at the NY Tech Meetup, Video 2.0
• Start your own Meetup!
• Build Your Twitter Following: Become an Expert.
• Participate in Internet Week, Social Media Week,
NYC Entrepreneur Week, LaidOff Boot Camp
• Find events through Gary’s Guide
• Say Yes to EVERY Panel. (It’s an Honor)
• Get on Wikipedia, LinkedIn, Facebook
Find guide online at http://groundreport.com.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special thanks to @trinaalbus @dorianbenkoil @bradszollose @scottperezfox
@stephiebee @midwaybeach @samseder.