Everything You Wanted to Know About
Ethics, Copyright, & Fair Use Review
Fill in the blanks using the provided review sheet. Type
your answers in any color but black that can be easily
read. Show your instructor your completed worksheet
and save it in your Grade This folder.
What cannot be protected by copyright?
• Works, ideas and facts are in the public domain
• Words, names slogans, or short phrases cannot be copyrighted
(However, slogans can be protected by trademark law.)
• Blank forms
What does it mean if something is copyrighted?
• Copyright guarantees for the creator of a work the right to:
• --distribute or sell
• --perform and display publicly
• --prepare new works based on the protected work
What is copyrighted?
• Literary works
• musical works, including words
• Dramatic works, including words
• Pantomimes and choreographic works
• Pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works
• Motion pictures and audio visual works
• Sound recordings
• You cannot print web pages, photos, or other information from the internet without
• from the source
(These are considered literary works under copyright law.)
• The internet is NOT the public domain
• Assume a work is copyrighted
Tips for using the Internet
• Always credit the source
• of your information
• Find out if the author of a work (graphic, video, audio, etc.) provides information
on how to use his or her work. If explicit guidelines exist, follow them.
• Whenever feasible, ask the owner of the copyright for permission.
• Keep a hard copy of your request and the permission received.
Even if you are not selling it
• You may not be making a profit, BUT you are preventing someone else from making a
• It is still a violation if you give it away AND there can still be heavy damages if you hurt
the commercial value of the property.
• News Reporting
Fair Use factors (4)
• Purpose and character of use
(Is it nonprofit? Is it educational?)
• The nature of the copyrighted work
(Is it factual?
• The amount that is used
(Less is always better. Adhere to guidelines.)
• The effect of the use on the potential market
• (Are you preventing the creator from profiting financially?.)
Fair Use guidelines
• Music, Lyrics, and Music Videos:
--up to 10%, but no more than 30 seconds
• Illustrations or Photographs:
--no more than 5 images from one artist
--no more than 10% or 15 images from a collection
• Text Material:
--up to 10% or 1000 words
--_ 3 poems per poet, 5 poems from different poets from an anthology
• Motion Media: