- Welcome everyone and explain that you working on file sharing.
- how impractical it is to have dusty albums in today's world.
- It doesn't matter which language you speak or which country you come from, you can still follow the story by looking at the picture. - A picture speaks a thousand words
– There are so many file sharing sites out there to choose from - there are currently approximately 100 file sharing sites online
Establish- find a site that has been around for a while so that when you store your pictures there it will remain there forever. Strong community- on any social networking site it is about making friends and meeting people. File sharing is no different, so find a site that has a strong community so that you can build relationships and learn from people that have similar interests as you. Features- you decide what you want to use your file sharing site for eg. Editting, or just storing.
Pros: Active community and groups - People that are constantly active and sharing pictures to others. Creative commons - a license filter that allows you to simply and quickly find images that are available for reuse. RSS feeds - if you subscribe to an rss feed on someones account, you will receive an update each time they add new pictures. Cons: Compicated - when starting out, and finding your way around the site. Just like when you have a new phone. Not entirely free - When you have a free Flickr account, you can upload 300MB worth of photos each calendar month. Which is 3.6 GB a year. Add on: Every time you go to flickr it gives you an update of how much space you can still use to store pictures.
Pros: Face recognition - It will recognise faces of people who were already uploaded before. Creative commons - a license filter that allows you to simply and quickly find images that are available for reuse. Integrates with google products - If you have a gmail account it will sync with Picasa.. Cons: Requires a desktop client - You need to have a pc to download the software onto for the full version. Add on: Picasa does have a web based program just to view and share. 1Gb storage- 1GB you use to just store pictures and that is more than enough . If you want to store larger pictures for printing you have buy more space.
Search engines don't search for pictures it search for words! That's why it is important to have tags so that your photos will be discovered by search engines.
(Transition slide) - We know that there are many video sharing site and today we will just be focusing on/doing You Tube!
-YouTube has more HD content than any other online video site - In August 2008, 23.7 million people visited YouTube - Every minute 13 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube - 1 out of 3 videos viewed online is on YouTube - YouTube has 490 million unique users who visit every month - It would take you 412 years to view all the content on YouTube
-The website gets an estimated 58 million unique visitors a month, and has about 16 million registered user s -SlideShare was voted amongst by the World's Top 10 tools for education & e-learning in 2010.
1. Web2.0: Filesharing By: Rlabs
2. Prior to the Internet, the last technology we used to share photos were big dusty PHOTO ALBUMS
3. “ Of all our inventions of Mass Communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language” - Walt Disney
5. How to decide? <ul><li>Established </li></ul><ul><li>Strong Community </li></ul><ul><li>Features </li></ul>
6. Pros <ul><li>Active community and groups </li></ul><ul><li>Creative commons </li></ul><ul><li>Integrated with other systems you might use (google, facebook, etc.) </li></ul><ul><li>RSS feeds </li></ul>Cons <ul><li>Somewhat complicated </li></ul><ul><li>Not entirely free </li></ul>
7. Pros Cons <ul><li>Requires a desktop client </li></ul><ul><li>1GB storage with free account </li></ul><ul><li>Face recognition </li></ul><ul><li>Creative commons </li></ul><ul><li>Integrates with google products </li></ul>
8. Tips for telling your story effectively <ul><li>Make your photos easy to find </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Title photos </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Add tags </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Make your photos easy to share </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Use as open a license as makes you comfortable </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Make your story as appealing to follow </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Develop a photo roll-out plan </li></ul></ul>
9. Video Sharing
12. SlideShare is a Web 2.0 based slide hosting service. Users can upload files privately or publicly in the following file formats: PowerPoint , PDF , Keynote or OpenOffice presentations. Slide decks can then be viewed on the site itself, on hand held devices or embedded on other sites.
14. THANK YOU www.rlabs.org clintonliederman [email_address] @clinton316 Clinton Liederman [email_address]