Transcript of "Applications of DBMS in Film Industry"
10-9-13 1 8
Applications Of Dbms In Film
INTRODUCTION TO FILM INDUSTRY
• The film industry comprises the technological and commercial
institutions of film making.
• The U.S. has one of the oldest film industries (and largest in terms
• Hollywood is the primary nexus of the U.S. film
• India is the largest producer of films in the world.
INDIAN FILM INDUSRTY
• Indian film industry is multi-lingual.
• The largest in the world in terms of ticket sales and no. of films
• 2nd largest in terms of revenue.
Raja Harishchandra (1913)
LIST OF INDIAN FILM INDUSTRY
• Gujarati, Punjabi, Bengali, Marathi, Oriya, Assamese
INTRODUCTION TO DBMS
• What is data??
- Related information
• What is database??
- Collection of pieces of data.
• What is dbms??
- It is a set of programs that enable us to
create and maintain database.
• It is distributed in to 3 parts…
RELATIVE DATABASE MODEL
• It as collection related data files.
- It is advanced model.
-leads to development of SQL.
- It needs common field which makes this model
ADVANTAGES OF DBMS
• allow concurrency
• control security
• maintain data integrity
• provide for backup and recovery
• control redundancy
• allow data independence
INTRODUCTION TO IMDb
• Internet Movie Database is an online database of information
related to films, television programs and video games.
• This includes actors, production crew personnel, and fictional
characters featured in these three visual entertainment media.
INTRODUCTION TO IMDb(Contd.)
• The database had been expanded to include additional
categories of filmmakers and other demographic material, as
well as trivia, biographies, and plot summaries.
• It is one of the most popular online entertainment destinations,
with over 100 million unique users each month and a solid and
rapidly growing mobile presence.
HOW IT WORKS ??
• Runs on a network of mirrors across the world with donated
• Mirror sites - provide multiple sources of the same
information, and are of particular value as a way of providing
reliable access to large downloads. Mirroring is a type of file
HOW IT WORKS ??
• IMDb is different from database projects like
Wikipedia, Discogs, or OpenStreetMap in that contributors
cannot add, delete, or modify the data or text on impulse, and
the manipulation of data is controlled by IMDb technology.
• A Python package called IMDbPY can also be used to
process the compressed plain text files into a number of
different SQL databases, enabling easier access to the
entire dataset for searching or data mining.
APPLICATION OF DBMS IN THEATRES
• DBMS is mainly used in online and offline ticket booking.
• Distribution of snacks.