Fire Exits Assembly point in Free School Lane Don’t use lift Toilets RSI/eyestrain breaks Large screen available Induction Loop available Mobiles on silent Tea/coffee vending machines No food / drink near computers
1. Web Skills: Web of Knowledge and ScopusDateRosemary Roddserviceemail@example.com
2. Health and Safety
3. General Information Sign in: Pink Attendance SheetPlease fill in the online feedback at the end of the course Start->All Programs->Popular Applications->Course Feedback/ Course files can be downloaded from: www.ucs.cam.ac.uk/support/courses/files Let us know if you need assistance: Please ask questions
4. General Information Objectives: Learn how to get started using online reference sources Pre-requisites: None, but familiarity with web browsing will help Duration & Break: 1 hour Course Material: handout for practical exercises Delivery Style: Demonstration followed by a practical
5. Follow-on courses: EndNote WebCourses run by University Library Referencing Without Tears, How To Do A Literature Search, How To Find Things on Your Reading List Newspaper Research
6. Scopus and Science Direct Some humanities/social sciences journals included, but strongest in the sciences. Includes some recent academic books. Direct export of PDFs (provided you have access rights) Science Direct allows you to export PDFs by drag and drop. SCOPUS allows you to select multiple PDFs and download to a folder Personalise using your Raven ID and password; no need to set up another account. Records go back to 1960.
7. Web of Knowledge/Web of Science Not just for scientists: search over Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences or Science databases for relevant items. Selected: journals go into the indexes after a degree of quality control so only genuine academic work will be included. Direct link to EndNote Web and methods to export to other reference management software. Requires registration to use all the features: cant simply use your Raven authentication to personalise. Records go back to 1899.
8. AlertsSet up saved search routines to send an email tonotify you when a relevant article becomesavailable.Available on all three services
9. Login with your Raven account to personalise Scopus settings This doesnt currently give access to the Sciverse hub, which still requires you to register with your personal details.
10. Do a search
11. Adjust the settings and click thecreate button to save your alert
12. Set up an RSS feed...
13. Analyse Click an authors name
14. Analyse co-publication trends
15. Explore references with the hub
16. Use apps to probe further
17. Go to the Science Direct platform to browse or accessmaterials direct
18. Browse relevant book titles
19. Most not free access, but you can purchase individual chapters
20. Web of Knowledge / Web of ScienceOwned by Thomson Reuters who also own the referencemanagement programs EndNote and EndNote Web.
21. Web of Science: create a topic alert
23. Get alerts when a paper is cited
24. Analyse by creating a citation map
25. 2-generation citation map showing how a paper is cited inpapers which are then themselves referenced.