1. Select Greater Philadelphia Greater Philadelphia 2012
2. Select Greater Philadelphia Non-profit supported and funded by business community 70-person board of Regional CEO’s Affiliate of Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce
3. Perfectly Positioned Seattle Boston Detroit New York Chicago Greater Philadelphia San Francisco Washington DC Los Angeles Phoenix Atlanta Dallas-Fort Worth Houston Miami
4. Heart of the World’s 5th Largest Economy RANK COUNTRY GDP ($ trillion) 1 United States 14.6 Peoples Republic of 2 5.7 China 3 Japan 5.4 4 Germany 3.3 GREATER 5 PHILADELPHIA 2.8 (200 mi. Market Area) 6 France 2.6 7 United Kingdom 2.3 8 Italy 2.0 200-mile (322km) radius 9 Brazil 2.0 10 Canada 1.6 Source: IHS Global Insight, 2010, International Monetary Fund, 2010
5. Powerful Market Market Size within 200 Miles of Major U.S. Cities Population Total Income New York 49.6 Million $1.50 Trillion Philadelphia 47.0 Million $1.46 Trillion Washington D.C. 34.3 Million $1.02 Trillion Boston 31.7 Million $967.2 Billion Chicago 25.4 Million $649.7 Billion Los Angeles 23.8 Million $596.7 Billion Detroit 21.7 Million $521.5 Billion Atlanta 18.8 Million $437.7 Billion San Francisco 14.8 Million $440.8 Billion Dallas-Fort Worth 14.6 Million $358.9 Billion Houston 13.9 Million $330.7 Billion Miami 10.3 Million $267.9 Billion Source: Claritas, 2011
6. Greater Philadelphia Population 6.23 million (5th) Employment 3.15 million (5th) Personal Income $291.5 billion (5th) Gross Regional Product $371 billion (7th) Sources: IHS Global Insight, 2011, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2011, U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Census
7. Diverse Economy Construction, Natural Resources & Mining; 3,3% Trade, Transportation & Utilities; 18,0% Education & Health Services; 20,7% Professional & Business Services; 15,2% Financial Activities; 7,5% Manufacturing; 6,5% Leisure & Hospitality; Government; 14,3% 8,0% Information; 2,0% Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2010, Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank, 2010
8. Key Sectors in the Region Employment Shares by Industry 12,2% Life Sciences & Healthcare Services 10,1% 7,9% Professional, Scientific, & Technical Services 5,8% 6,1% Financial Services 4,2% 7,3% Clean Economy 6,7% 3,8% IT Producing 3,3% GPR U.S. Source: IHS Global Insight, 2011
9. Global Access Philadelphia Int’l Airport: 29 carriers with 620 daily departures to 123 cities 55 non-stop flights to 36 international destinations An international gateway for US Airways 8 additional international airports within 90-minute drive Amtrak offers access to New York and Washington, DC in approximately 1.5 hours 46 Regional Port Facilities and over 200 large distribution facilities Source: Philadelphia International Airport, 2011,
10. Global Marketplace 34 of Fortune 1000 Major Companies in Greater Philadelphia: companies headquartered 747 foreign-owned firms from 39 countries 10 bilateral chambers of commerce 33 consulates 617,394 foreign-born residents Sources: Philadelphia Business Journal, 2011, Pennsylvania Department of Community & Economic Development, Dun & Bradstreet, 2010, Select Greater Philadelphia, Delaware Economic Development Office, World Trade Center of Greater Philadelphia, U.S. Census Bureau, American Community Survey, 2009
11. Global Marketplace Foreign-owned Companies Number of Number of Country Employees in Companies Region United Kingdom 143 31,008 Germany 104 20,508 Japan 76 9,058 France 69 10,772 Canada 66 7,544 Netherlands 43 10,722 Switzerland 43 5,000 Sweden 33 3,965 Australia 21 1,440 Italy 17 845Sources: Philadelphia Business Journal, 2011, Pennsylvania Department of Community & Economic Development, Dun & Bradstreet, 2010, Select Greater Philadelphia, Delaware Economic Development Office, World Trade Center of Greater Philadelphia, U.S. Census Bureau, American Community Survey, 2009
12. Global Marketplace Employment by Industry Sector Number of Country Employees in Region Chemical Mfg. 19,811 Prof., Scientific & Tech Services 11,223 Misc. Mfg. 9,667 Admin. & Support Services 9,061 Credit Intermediation 7,781 Food & Beverage Stores 5,920 Wholesalers – Durable Goods 5,886 Publishing (except Internet) 5,341 Insurance 4,568 Wholesalers - non-Durable Goods 3,865Sources: Philadelphia Business Journal, 2011, Pennsylvania Department of Community & Economic Development, Dun & Bradstreet, 2010, Select Greater Philadelphia, Delaware Economic Development Office, World Trade Center of Greater Philadelphia, U.S. Census Bureau, American Community Survey, 2009
13. Foreign Locate Case Study: UK Manufacturer of Bio-fluid Containers Understand the Good or Service Being Sold What Makes it Better than Existing Goods or Services? Who are the Potential Customers, Who are Competitors? What Activities Will Be Located Here: Distribution, then Mfg. What Inputs Will be Purchased in the GPR, in the US? Labor Needs Real Estate Needs Professional and Business Services
14. Talented Workforce Education Pipeline: 101 Institutions Over 379,000 students Over 83,500 Degrees & Home to Top-Ranked Universities: Certificates Awarded Among the 25 largest MSAs: Highest award rate for first professional degrees 2nd highest award rate for bachelors degrees 35% of residents 25+ have at least a Bachelor’s degree Sources: National Center for Educational Statistics, Integrated Post-Secondary Education Database (IPEDS), 2008/09
15. A Place to Connect and Grow Welcoming business community Large number of incubators, accelerator and technology transfer programs Small business centers Specialized office spaces Access to capital Networking and professional development events Entrepreneurial organizations
16. At the Cutting Edge Top 5 for Research & Development $10.5 billion annually in research and development Home to National DOE, Energy Innovation Hub Top 5 in patent award rate per resident 18 companies on Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500 Greenest city in the U.S. by 2015 Sources: U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 2011, Deloitte, 2011, City of Philadelphia, Select Greater Philadelphia
17. Best Value in the Northeast U.S. Annual Wage & Salary Costs for Private, Services-Providing Sectors $6 000 000 $5 000 000 Compared to Boston, New York, & Washington DC, $4 000 000 Greater Philadelphia has the lowest: $3 000 000 Wage & salary costs $2 000 000 Office rental rates $1 000 000 Industrial rental rates $- Greater Boston Washington New York Cost of living Philadelphia D.C. Annual labor cost is for 100 workers in occupations Median housing sales price typically required by companies in the private, services-providing sectors.Sources: IHS Global Insight, 2011, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2011, ACCRA Cost of Living Index, 2010, National Association of Realtors, U.S. Census Bureau, 2010, Select Greater Philadelphia
18. Cost of Doing Business Rental Rates per s/f for Class A Office Space in Large Metros Detroit $21,42 Atlanta $22,57 Dallas-Fort Worth $22,92Greater Philadelphia $28,00 Chicago $29,36 Houston $29,40 Los Angeles $32,56 Boston $34,22 Miami $34,24 San Francisco $37,64 Washington, DC $38,78 New York $56,20 $0,00 $10,00 $20,00 $30,00 $40,00 $50,00 $60,00 Sources: Grubb & Ellis, 2011q4
19. Cost of Doing Business Rental Rates per s/f for Warehouse / Distribution Space in Large Metros Atlanta $3,44 Dallas-Fort Worth $3,50Greater Philadelphia $3,68 Chicago $3,92 Detroit $3,96 Houston $4,59 San Francisco $4,68 New York $5,06 Boston $5,46 Los Angeles $5,79 Miami $8,20 $0,00 $1,00 $2,00 $3,00 $4,00 $5,00 $6,00 $7,00 $8,00 $9,00 Sources: Grubb & Ellis, 2011q4
20. Cost of Doing Business Rental Rates per s/f for R&D / Flex Space in Large Metros Atlanta $6,41 Dallas-Fort Worth $6,47 Houston $7,59Greater Philadelphia $7,65 Chicago $7,90 Detroit $8,03 San Francisco $8,16 New York $9,35 Miami $9,63 Boston $9,87 Los Angeles $10,41 $0,00 $2,00 $4,00 $6,00 $8,00 $10,00 $12,00 Sources: Grubb & Ellis, 2011q4
21. Quality of Life Wealth of museums, galleries, and historical sites Nationally recognized restaurants & breweries Approx. 2 hours to beach & mountains 86,456 acres of parkland 9 professional & 573 NCAA sports teams 193 golf courses Photo by G. Widman for GPTMC
23. Headquarters for Success Comcast Corporation Established: 1969 Sector: Telecommunications, broadcasting Location: Global Headquarters in Philadelphia, PA Summary: The largest cable operator, home internet service provider, and fourth largest home telephone service provider in the United States, providing service to both residential and commercial customers in 39 states and the District of Columbia. Comcast is also the majority owner and manager of NBCUniversal. SAP America Established: 1972 (Weinheim, Germany) Sector: Computer software Location: US Headquarters in Newtown Square, PA Summary: The worlds largest business software company and the third-highest revenue independent software provider (as of 2007). SAP has about 12,500 employees in North America, with more than 2,000 employees in Newtown Square.
24. Headquarters for Success E.I. DuPont de Nemours & Company Established: 1802 Sector: Chemical Manufacturing Location: Global Headquarters in Wilmington, DE Summary: DuPont operates in approximately 90 countries and employs 70,000 worldwide. DuPont offers a wide range of innovative products and services for markets including agriculture, nutrition, electronics, communications, safety and protection, home and construction, transportation and apparel. Trinseo, S.A. (formerly Styron, LLC) Established: 2010 Sector: Plastics Manufacturer Location: Global Headquarters in Berwyn, PA Summary: A world leader in the production of plastics, latex, and rubber. Trinseo, an independent company formed in 2010, was created by combining the technologies and capabilities of four businesses of The Dow Chemical Company. The company operates 35 production facilities in nearly 20 countries.
25. Headquarters for Success Lincoln Financial Group Established: 1968 Sector: Insurance & Retirement Planning Location: Global Headquarters in Radnor, PA Summary: A Fortune 500 company, Lincoln focuses on four core business areas - life insurance, annuities, retirement plan services, and group protection. The company is also active in the investment management business, offering individual and institutional clients such financial services as pension plans, trusts, and mutual funds through its subsidiaries. Vanguard Group Established: 1975 Sector: Investment Management Location: Global Headquarters in Valley Forge, PA Summary: Vanguard is one of the worlds largest investment management companies. With offices in 11 countries the company employs approximately 13,000 people worldwide. Vanguard manages $1.7 trillion in U.S. mutual funds.
26. Headquarters for Success Shire USA Established: 1986 (Basingstoke, UK) Sector: Pharmaceuticals Location: US Headquarters in Wayne, PA Summary: As a global specialty biopharmaceutical company listed on the London and NASDAQ exchanges, Shire is one of the fastest-growing biopharmaceutical companies in the world. GlaxoSmithKline USA Established: 2000 (London, UK) Sector: Pharmaceuticals Location: Regional Headquarters in Philadelphia, PA; Major R&D sites in Upper Merion & Collegeville, PA; and a Major manufacturing site in King Of Prussia, PA Summary: One of the world’s leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies with a share of around 5% of the worlds pharmaceutical market.
27. Location for Success Campbell Soup Company Established: 1869 Sector: Food Manufacturer Regional Employment: 1,200 Locations: Global Headquarters, R&D, Manufacturing Summary: A global manufacturer and marketer of high-quality foods and simple meals, including soups and sauces, baked snacks, and healthy beverages. The world’s #1 soup maker with domestic market penetration of over 80% of US households. Campbell’s products are sold in 120 countries around the globe. Tasty Baking Company Established: 1914 Sector: Food Manufacturer Regional Employment: 740 Locations: Headquarters, Manufacturing, Distribution Summary: A manufacturer of single-serve cupcakes, snack-sized cakes, and fruit pies. It also makes cookies, brownies, pastries, honey buns, and doughnuts. The new manufacturing facility at the Philadelphia Navy Yard is the greenest bakery in the world.
28. Location for Success Keystone Foods Established: 1946 Sector: Food Processor Regional Employment: 260 Locations: Global Headquarters, R&D, Distribution Summary: Keystone Foods is a multi-national, multi-protein processor and food distributor for the world’s best fresh and frozen protein brands and is focused on innovation and dedicated to food safety and quality. Hatfield Quality Meats Established: 1895 Sector: Food Manufacturer Regional Employment: 1,558 Locations: Headquarters, Manufacturing, Distributon Summary: A member of the Clemens Family Corporation, also headquartered in Hatfield, manufacturer of processed pork everything from bacon to scrapple.
30. Select’s Services Services for Companies Expanding into Greater Philadelphia Market Real Estate Connections Intelligence Search Market Research Leaders Site Selection Workforce Officials Regional Tours Cost Data Suppliers Incentives
31. Thank You! 200 South Broad Street Suite 700 Philadelphia, PA 19102-3896P: 215.790.3777 or 1.800.221.0774 Selectgreaterphila.com