2. The Bowl Championship Series (BCS) is a five- game showcase of college football. A 2007 Gallop poll showed that 85% of college football fans supported a change to a playoff system of some kind. The BCS games are operated by community- based organizations in each of the host cities.
3. The BCS came into picture in the 1998 season. The first BCS championship game was held in January of 1999 between Tennessee and Florida State. Tennessee won 23-16 to become the first BCS National Champions. The first controversy of the BCS was about two years ago.
4. The Tostitos Fiesta Bowl The Discover Orange Bowl The Rose Bowl Game The Allstate Sugar Bowl and The BCS National Championship Game that is played at one of the bowl sites.
5. Why won’t the BCS be changed to a playoff system? A: “The BCS is working, at least in the conferences eyes. Any chance of a college football playoff is dead” (Mark Schlabach).
6. The BCS is unfairly picked. For example this years national championship is LSU vs. Alabama when LSU has already beaten Alabama. So why not give some one else a chance?
7. The BCS rewards undefeated BCS teams, so schools sometimes try to schedule games against weaker opponents to protect their records. A playoff would remove the easy schedule. It would make the championship solely about performance.
8. A playoff system would not mean the end of the BCS rankings. Which could still be used to determine the top 4, 8, 12, or 16 teams, depending on how many playoff games are feasible. Every game during the regular season would still be as important as under the current system. A few losses would make it difficult for a team to qualify for the playoffs.
9. The BCS rankings are designed to favor consistency over the course of the entire season. It rewards teams that beat the opponents they are supposed to beat as well as underdogs that upset higher-ranked teams. Under a playoff system, a team could lose an entire seasons worth of hard work by having one bad day.
10. The proposed playoff system alternatives are actually less fair than the BCS system in place. In a league of 120 teams, there is no way for every team to play each other in the course of the regular season, let alone in a playoff during the post-season.
11. The BCS conferences have stronger teams in them. An undefeated or one-loss record in a BCS conference should mean more than the same record in a weaker, non-BCS conference because the teams are not facing opponents of the same quality. The BCS rankings consider strength of schedule in the computer rating formulas, and the human voters account for it as well.
12. ”The NCAA still has no interest in sponsoring a national playoff” (Mark Emmert NCAA president).
13. The BCS need to switch to a playoff system to have a true national championship.