1. CONNAISSANCE 2013 General quiz PRELIMS ( With Answers)
2. Rules• 25+1 questions.• Each question carries 1 point. (Except Zeroeth ques)• Part points to be given wherever applicable.• Use of unfair means will lead to disqualification.• Quizmaster: ultima ratio regum.
3. Zeroeth Question. (no points)This audio is the opening track of a famous sitcom. Name the show.
4. Zeroeth Question
5. Q1.Identify the name of the band and the song in the previous audio.
6. Q2. There were sixteen castings released in 1968, eleven of them designed by Harry Bentley Bradley, with the first one produced being a dark blueCustom Camaro. Although Bradley was from the car industry, he had not designed the fully functional versions of the real cars, except the Dodge Deoraconcept car, which had been built by Mike and Larry Alexander. Another of his notable designs was the Custom Fleetside, which was based on his own heavily customized 64 El Camino. What is being talked about?
7. Q3.Which former President of India is buried on thecampus of the Jamia Millia Islamia in New Delhi?
8. Dr. Zakir Hussain
9. Q4. X is Akshar Pathaks brainchild that began inFebruary 2012 and exploded on the pop culture scene of Cinema of India. It captures the trueessence of each film/T.V. show that is portrayed graphically in the limited space that he works on. His work has caught the eye of Facebook users around the World since it became viral through Social Networking Forums such as Facebook and Twitter.
10. Minimal Bollywood Posters
11. Q5.Print Ad for ?
12. KitKat – Take A Break!
13. *Q6. X : "Before we agreed to a straight swap, I had been committed to play Margaret Thatcher... And Y wasSteven’s first choice for ____________ , I’d like to see that version.” Put Funda!
14. X – Daniel Day Lewis, Y – Meryl StreepDaniel Day Lewis acceptance speech at 85th Oscars!
15. Q7.Aibohphobia is the fear of?
16. Fear of Palindromes!
17. Q8. The twin spacecraft X 1 & 2 continue exploringwhere nothing from Earth has flown before. In the34th year after their 1977 launches, they each are much farther away from Earth and the Sun than Pluto. X & Y are now in the "Heliosheath" - theoutermost layer of the heliosphere where the solar wind is slowed by the pressure of interstellar gas. Both spacecraft are still sending scientificinformation about their surroundings through the Deep Space Network .X 2 went on to explore Uranus and Neptune, and isstill the only spacecraft to have visited those outer planets. Identify X.
18. Voyager 1 & 2
19. Q9.Launched on January 28 2013, Jaane Anjaane is a music album with six songs, written and composed by the finalists of _________ Idol. Each song also has an an accompanying video. The tabla player Harnam Singh says, "Love landed me in this mess, now love has inspired me to pursue music. FITB
20. TIHAR IDOL
21. Q10. Which place?• Google maps – restricted
23. Q11. Originally designed by N.G. Pansare under thesupervision of __________s art director WalterLanghammer, it is generally made of bronze, itsheight is 46.5 cm and it weighs around five kgs. Described as "For sheer grace, beauty andartistic merit, it bears comparison with the best of its kind in the world for it is as classic as our most ancient bronzes and as modern as the newest Florentine expressions. What is being talked about ?
24. The Black Lady(Filmfare Awards Statuette)
25. Q12.Together with the springbok antelope, the X had been treated as a sometimes controversial national symbol in South Africa, both during and after apartheid.The former South African Prime Minister and architectof apartheid, Hendrik Frensch Verwoerd, had a dream to change the flag of South Africa to have in its center a leaping springbok antelope over a wreath of six X.This proposal, however, aroused too much controversyto be implemented. After the demise of apartheid, the ANC government decreed that South African sportingteams, hitherto called "Springboks" were to be known as the "X", although an exemption was made for the rugby union team, who remain "Springboks". Id X
28. Q13.Novak Djokovic
29. Q14.Angaraag Mahanta, better known as Xformed an electronic folk-fusion band in2007 called X and The East India Company.The band consists of X on vocals, Brin Desaion live electronics, Jinti on lead guitars,Kirti on percussion and Dipu on bass andTanmay on Drums. Identify X?
31. Q15.Which epic work was compiled during 1469 to1708, containing works of Ramanand, SheikhFarid, Kabir, Ravidas, Beni, Namdev, Sadhana, Bhikhana, Parmanand, Sain, Dhanna, Pipa, Surdas, Jayadev & Trilochan ?
32. Guru Granth Sahib
33. Q16.The runners-up get Kamala Gupta trophy. The team placed third gets Sampangi trophy. What do the winners get?
34. Santosh Trophy
35. *Q17. First edition cover of?
36. Q18.In early 2009 it was in the news due to a firmwareflaw in a batch of phones that were manufacturedin a plant in Bochum, Germany. The phone couldsupposedly be programmed to receive messagesdirected to a different phone number, thusreceiving sensitive bank or other data. This flaw wasbrought to authorities attention after some phoneswere sold for over US$32,000. There is only onesource, a volunteer association using the nameUltrascan, that all these articles fall back to. A proofof concept or any other evidence for its claims wasnever published. It was Nokias one billionth phonesold and was purchased in Nigeria. What is being talked about?
37. Nokia 1100
38. *Q19. In 2005, Terry Balsamo, Evanescence guitarist, incurred a stroke from __________. In 2009, Slayer bassist/vocalist Tom Araya beganexperiencing spinal problems due to his aggressive form of ___________, and had to undergo anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. In 2011, Megadeth guitarist Dave Mustaine said that hisneck and spine condition, known as stenosis was caused by many years of ___________. FITB.
42. Q21.Sports Notice: Our friend and companion HansGamper former Swiss [football] champion, beingkeen on organising some football games in the cityasks anyone who feels enthusiastic enough aboutthe sport to present themselves at the office of thisnewspaper any Tuesday or Friday evening betweenthe hours of 9 and 11 pm.Gampers advertisement in _________(newspaper) 2 October 1899. Which football club was formed after this newspaper ad?
43. F.C. Barcelona
44. *Q22. Core Values of which organisation?• We bear witness to environmental destruction in a peaceful, non-violent manner;• We use non-violent confrontation to raise the level and quality of public debate;• In exposing threats to the environment and finding solutions we have no permanent allies or adversaries;• We ensure our financial independence from political or commercial interests;• We seek solutions for, and promote open, informed debate about societys environmental choices.
46. Q23. Postage Stamp depicting?
47. Sputnik 1
48. Q24. On 25 June 1934,X was in Pune along with hiswife,to deliver a speech at Corporation Auditorium.They were traveling in a motorcade of two cars. The car in which the couple was travelling was delayedand the first car reached the auditorium. Just when the first car arrived at the auditorium, a bomb was thrown, which exploded near the car. This caused grievous injury to the Chief Officer of the Pune Municipal Corporation, two policemen and seven others. Nevertheless, no account or records of the investigation nor arrests made can be found. Xs secretary, believed that the attempt failed due to lack of planning and co-ordination. Idenify X!
49. Q25."I remember when my daddy gave me that gun. He told me that I should never point it at anything in the house; and that hed rather Id shoot at tin cans in the backyard. But he said that sooner or later he supposed the temptation to go after birds would be too much, and that I could shoot all the blue jays I wanted - if I could hit em; but to remember it was a sin _________________." FITB